Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure Issues...Need Help

Lococop

I just puchased the auto disk powder measure with the new breech challenger single stage press. I'm reloading the 460 S&W Mag, 454 Casull and the 45 Long Colt. It works great except for the 45 Colt. According to the Lee data provided, it only needs a single disk of .46. When I open the hopper, the powder overflows the disk spilling powder. This does not happen with my other two calibers. I am using the Hodgon Titegroup powder for the 45 Colt and H110 for the others.

What am I doing wrong?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Did you take the spacer out?

If you're only using one disk you then you need to remove the spacers on the bolts that makes the hopper high enough for two disks...

Lococop

Another stupid question. If I seat in the bullet in too deep in the brass, will that effect the firing of the round in a revolver?

Too deep meaning just above the line before the nose of the bullet.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
My friend, I mean you no offense...

It sounds to me like you are loading without a manual. You REALLY need a good manual.

A good manual will explain all the steps to the reloading process and the dangers of not following them correctly.

If you don't have it, get "The ABCs of Reloading" and read it. Cover to cover.

The short answer to your question is YES, but the reasoning has nothing in particular to do with the gun in which the round is fired.

Seating the bullet too deep decreases the amount of space available for the powder to burn, which can DRASTICALLY increase chamber pressure. "Drastically" as in you're holding a hand grenade type of drastic.

Lococop

No offense taken. Better to learn this way. I'm new at this and yes I have a manual by Lyman but obviously did not get to that chapter.

WOW...I was going to go to the range and try it. Thanks for the heads up on the potential disaster.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Ah, good. The Lyman is a good manual. Is it the 49th edition?

Be sure to follow all instructions and measurements exactly when you are first starting out and until you have a thorough understanding of the what-nots and where-fors.

Also, be aware that no two bullets are the same and it may not be safe to substitute load data intended for one 125gr bullet (for example) with another 125gr bullet. The length of the bullet and the shape of the base of each bullet may not be the same so loading them to the same overall length with the same charge may result in a unsafe condition.

Lococop

Yes it is the 49th Edition.

I try to stick with the Hornady 250 gr XTP HP 452 diameter for all three loads. It seems to have consistant data according to Lee for all three. Unless I go hunting, I'll stick with that. I've been reloading now for a few months/500 rounds and it seems to be working fine. I don't want to get too complicated.

Although, this is the first time I've seated a bullet too deep. The press kinda got away from me. I always measured the length after reloading but did not realize the actual need to measure. As long as it was within specs, I fired. :D

Last edited: