lee 4 hole press with auto disc

ragwd

Greetings, I have not posted in a while because I have slowed how much I shoot. So i have been lurking and searching for topics about the Lee 4 hole and how well it works with the auto disc powder measure. I only have the rcbs chucker but i would like to step up to something easier(faster).Lots of very good progressive out there but my money says lee 4 hole w/ auto disc powder measure. The only thing that slows me down is a inconsistent powder throw, so this is very important in my decision.
Thanks for taking time to read and especially if you take time to respond unless you try to flame me. Constructive criticism ok but no flame throwers please.

mikejonestkd

I have the Lee Classic turret press and use the Auto disk.
IMO it is one of the best bang for the buck presses out there.
I have had mine approx. 12 years and have not had any issues with it.
I have used the auto disk powder measure for every handgun cartridge and its reliable, accurate enough for pistol ammo, and is quite durable.
buy with confidence!
As far as powder consistency, powders like win231 / HP -38 regularly throw within plus or minus .1 gr, which is more than good enough for pistol rounds.

My Lee Turret Press is the old one with the aluminum base that came before the "Classic." I use it mostly for .45 ACP and 9mm, but I have also loaded .380 ACP, .38 Special, .45 Colt, and .44 Colt Original. The press strikes a decent balance between a single stage and a progressive.

I use an Auto Disk powder measure for all the above except .44 Colt and .45 Colt. I use Trail Boss powder for those, and I haven't bothered (yet) to set up an Auto Disk for Trail Boss so I don't know how consistently it meters. For the other cartridges, I use Winchester 231 and I find the metering to be very consistent.

Keep in mind, however, that unless you are willing to modify the disk, the Auto Disk may not give you exactly the charge you want. It comes with four disks, and each disk has six apertures of differing diameter, so -- in all -- you get 24 holes. But each is fixed.

For example -- with Win 231in .45 ACP, I wanted (IIRC) 5.2 grain. The closest aperture drops 5.3. So -- I load 5.3 grains. The next smaller would drop something like 4.8 grains (of Winchester 231). If you absolutely MUST dial your load in to the nearest 0.1 grain, they sell a micrometer charge bar that replaces the disk and allows infinite adjustment. I have one, but I never use it.

jetinteriorguy

The Lee Classic Cast four hole turret with the Pro Auto Disc, not the original auto disc, is an excel tool for pistol loading, and even pretty decent at loading some rifle rounds with a double disc kit. I keep one of each. I do work up loads using a perfect powder measure then once I have a load I like I can customize a disc cavity using a tapered reamer to throw an exact charge. The Auto Drum is also handy for certain powders and loads as well, although they sometimes need a little tinkering to work well.

I have a Lee Classic Cast Turret, use it for every handgun caliber and 223, and I have a turret with a separate Pro-Auto Disc setup for every caliber. What does that tell you about how much I like the setup? Changing calibers takes 10 seconds and whatever time it takes to fill the hopper, no need to even check the charge weights (although I do).

ragwd

Thanks to all that replied, it is great to have a place like this with so many knowledgeable people who have experience in what I am asking about. Once again you guys, thanks for the help. You helped me make my decision.

kmw1954

ragwd, I have an old model Red base 3 hole Lee Turret and a new model 4 hole Laue press along with a Pro1000 and Pro4000

The Pro4000 ABLP press is sort of a crass between the Pro1000 and the Value Turret press.

At present I am using the 3 hole turret the most as I am using it for loading 223 with just the powder thru die and the seating die. Priming on press in the empty hole.

I have 3 Auto Disk measure. One with a Micro disk and one with the normal disks and the third one sits in the drawer.

I al so have an Auto Drum and it is working very well with all my pistol powders and the 223 powders.

With ball type powders you should easily be able to hold .1gr.. Not +/- .1gr.. Most every time it is off with a ball powder it's to the light side. If it is to a heavy side it is usually preceded by a loud crunch and a jerk..

Scoupeq

I recently upgraded to a Lee Value Turret. I use the Auto Disk and Auto Prime systems on it. After a very short learning curve, I find it easy and reliable to use.

TailGator

Another satisfied user of that setup. I only load handgun calibers, but it is easy to use and reliable. The only thing I added was a ring light below the turret.

std7mag

I've used/use the Lee Classic 4 hole turret for some years now.
Still my go to press.
There is an adjustable disc available for the powder dispenser.
Makes things much faster to set up, and change between different cartridges.
Doesn't work that well with flake powders like Alliant Red, Green, or Blue Dot powders.

ragwd

I purchased from midway a Lee the four hole press , auto disk pro powder measure, the riser for the powder measure. the two safety primers and the bench plate and a extra turret. I hope I have everything , shipping is next week so I am anxiously waiting. I have been loading on a rock chucker, which is a great press, but I am so looking forward to it not being such a labor. Thanks again !

Last edited:

ragwd

Just the 4 hole with index ,it was on sale for 84 and the classic was 134. my decision was economics. Classic looks like its better materials but I have seen no complaints about wear on the plain jane 4 hole.

Last edited:
mikejonestkd said:
Did you get the classic 4 hole, or the 4 hole turret press? There IS a difference!!!
The classic is a better press.
How is the Classic better?

The Classic has a cast iron base, the "Value" (as they now call it) has an aluminum base. Above the base they are exactly the same, and they work exactly the same. The one with an aluminum base was the only version of the turret press that Lee sold for many, many years. When I bought mine, it was the only version. I've had mine for around fifteen years (maybe a bit more) and I've loaded many thousands of rounds on it. It's bolted to my bench -- I can't think of any way in which having a cast iron base rather than cast aluminum would make my press function any better.

Scoupeq

The only aluminum on the Lee Value Turret press is the turret itself. Base, top, risers, linkage, roller-handle arm, are all steel, or at least ferrous enough to be magnetic. Just did a magnet check before I posted.

Having never used the Classic, I can't compare them, but I'm very pleased with the results from my Value Turret.

kmw1954

I too have to argue the Aluminum base on the new Value Turret.
It is steel and and the same base they are now using on the Value Turret, Pro100 and the Auto Breech Lock Pro 4000.
I know this because I have a Value Turret and an Pro4000 on my bench.

^^ Thank you. My [original] turret press has an aluminum base, which was also the same base that Lee used on the original Pro 1000. I knew they had redesigned the base, but I didn't know they had shifted from aluminum to steel.

In that case, I'm even more baffled at why/how the Classic with its cast iron base could in any way be "better" than the Value Turret.

kmw1954

The Classic is more stout, has a larger diameter ram and is taller with a longer stroke that will accommodate longer/larger rifle cases.

The new version Value is a great size for any pistol length again because the stroke is shorter. Works well with 223 length too.

ragwd

Greetings all. I'm back with a question about mounting the lee pro auto disc powder measure to the 4 hole press, i am seeing that you use a powder thru hole expander die. i am not finding one that accepts the thread from auto disc. Any help appreciated. thanks for taking the time to read.

jetinteriorguy

The Lee die works, you have to remove the adapter on it that allows using a powder funnel. It’s the hex nut thing on top of the die. This die is included in a Lee die set and is referred to as the powder through die. You’ll also need the riser from Lee so the powder dispenser will clear the priming tool.