lee 36 cal conical mold for black powder

sc928porsche

Since I do a lot of casting for pistols and for black powder rifles and pistols. I decided to try some bullets for my 36 cal C&B instead of the round ball that I have been using. As usual, it took a bit before the molds were casting well but once they seemed to "season" they cast some very nice ones. With 100 sized to .375 and lubed in the old 450, I took the pistol out to the range.

It took a while, but it seems the 17gr eq. of pyrodex p worked best. Accuracy and penetration improved over the ball by a decent margin. The only down side I found was it was more difficult to get the bullet started (I dont use the bench loader).

All in all, a very successful endeavor. I thought that I would pass this along to any that would like to try.

Hawg

The .36 conicals I cast out of my Lee mold #90378 are slightly tapered and load quite easily.

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

sc928porsche

Yes Hawg, I noticed that they were tapered too. When I put them through the sizer, the very end of the base was not sized. It seemed just enough to aid in starting the bullet. Unsized, mine shaved a small portion of lead off the bullets. My cyls mic at .3743 to .3751 using a sterrit ball mic.

salvadore

I was going to buy one of the lees for my pocket navy last week with my order to midway but they were out, so will try again (forgot to include a brass purchase so will get both next month).

I have heard that accuraccy is an issue with conicals and was wondering if it was a problem for you two?

salvadore

Excellent MR. Porche, they emailed me four days later to tell me they have them in stock and it is on the way.