leaving your range bag in the truck over night ?

rebs

If you are going to the range early in the morning is it ok to put your range bag in the truck the night before ? It would save on carrying out all your equipment in the morning. The truck would be locked of course. The reason I ask is because some powders are temp sensitive.

NoSecondBest

I've done it for years and I haven't noticed an "over nighter" causing a problem. Temp sensitive powders simply means that they can perform slightly different when used over wide extremes of temperature. This shows up more from season to season, not over night, unless you had a fifty degree difference over night. Besides, it doesn't take long for a round of ammo to adjust to ambient air temp at the range. Being temp sensitive doesn't change powder permanently, it just effects burn rate a little bit. I just wouldn't leave it sit in a hot car during the day for too many days. Heat is a bigger factor if left in high temps long enough. That can break the powder down.

jmorris

Pretty sure being in a vehicle overnight won’t hurt the powder, if that’s what your asking.

If you go hunting/camping you won’t even need to put it in your sleeping bag with you to keep it warm.

You could even test my theory yourself. Just put a few rounds in a ziplock bag and put them in your freezer today and take them shooting with you this weekend.

When people talk about temperature sensitive powders they are talking about conditions they are shot under, not ones they have encountered in the past.

So if you developed a load at 32 deg F in the winter it might act different in the summer when it’s 100 F but the next winter when it’s 32 again, it will be the same.

If your loads are not right on the edge of safety and your not trying to shoot the smallest single hole group, it’s likely not something you need to worry about.

Charlie98

If your loads are not right on the edge of safety and your not trying to shoot the smallest single hole group, it’s likely not something you need to worry about.

That... ^^^

I do a lot of my load testing when I'm on vacation in the NV desert, I've tested my handloads in 118F heat in direct sun (where the fired brass was still hot after 5 minutes you needed gloves to pick it up...) and in more moderate 56F overcast conditions. I can tell you there is a difference at those two extremes with rifle-level cartridges, and perhaps to a lesser extent pistol cartridges... my chrono readings tell me as much... but as JMorris says, unless you are at the pressure redline, or you are looking for benchrest accuracy or consistency, it's a non issue.

The main dangers of leaving it overnight are:

1: they will be colder than the range when you arrive and condensation may appear on the guns when you take them out of the bag. Always best to have the guns a little warmer than ambient rather than cooler.

2: Someone will break into the truck. This happened to my neighbor's son-in-law when he and his wife stayed overnight at their place right across the street from me. Some of the local druggie thieves drove by and knew the back door of the model big cab pickup he drives did not trigger the alarm. So they jimmied the back door and stole a revolver from the glove box.

pete2

Has anyone experimented with "temperature sensitive" powders to see how a change in temperature effects accuracy? My nephew used it as an excuse for making a bad shot on a deer. I would be surprised if it made 1/2" difference at 100 Yards even if you developed the load at 90F and shot it at 30F. Has anyone tried it.
I did notice a 50FPS difference in a 45ACP with WST powder. Shooting IDPA so I couldn't tell if any difference in accuracy. I doubt there was a measurable difference.

At ranges as close as 100 yards, a good BC bullet exhibits very little drop. The only way it would make a significant change there is if it took the bullet far enough away from sweet spot barrel time that it exited at a point when the muzzle was swinging the other way. I've seen that make up to about 6" of difference in POI with a light, whippy barrel. But if the gun was a rigid heavy barrelled weapon, it's unlikely you would see much shift.

Where the temperature insensitivity makes a big difference is in keeping the first shot from a cold barrel in the same place. Once the barrel gets warm, that has more influence than powder sensitivity on pressure. It's one reason for taking fouling shots and working up match loads firing at a match pace.

TailGator

My thoughts are mostly along the lines of Unclenick's second point. I don't leave guns in a vehicle overnight because of the possibility of theft. Temperature swings here (coastal Florida) are often less night-to-day than inside-to-outside.

FrankenMauser

Unless you're talking about a notable temperature difference (40+ F), it shouldn't be an issue.

I would not, however, leave your range bag in a vehicle if the bag contains firearms.

Never leave firearms unattended. If you do, you're just asking for them to disappear.

Some of the local druggie thieves drove by and knew the back door of the model big cab pickup he drives did not trigger the alarm. So they jimmied the back door and stole a revolver from the glove box.
Sounds about as useful as the factory alarm on my truck.
It is only triggered if a door is opened while still locked. (Ponder that for a few moments... :rolleyes:)

So, break a window and open the door (automatically unlocks by pulling door handle) or unlock the door with a Slim Jim, and you're in.

F. Guffey

I have suggested the reloader haul their ammo around in a cooler. they shoot in the winter and reload/test fire in the summer.

Many years ago I instructed my children if they emptied the vehicle, lock them.

My wife accused me of not locking the P/U. I knew she had a reason for accusing me so I had to ask how she knew. She said someone went through the pick up, she said they emptied the glove box, went through my stuff behind the seats, ash tray. She said in general they left it in a mess, I was thinking that is the way I left it.

And then I asked her about my stuff in the bed, She did not know but she did not ask me 'what stuff?'.

Anyhow. my big chain hoist was still there, two saw horses, cabinet for organizers and two rolls of lead from an x-ray room; hidden in plain sight. The chain hoist has gotten heavier through time and now it takes two people to hang it.

F. Guffey

std7mag

Worst place, besides a wet basement, to store stuff is in a vehicle.
Firearms are stolen from vehicles all the time. Yet people still insist on leaving them in a locked vehicle. Cops that know better, included.

As for the whole temp sensitive powder BS!
7mm-08AI using 140 Nosler Ballistic Tip over a charge of RL17 (a suppossed known temp sensitive powder), shooting 400 yards POI difference between 18 degrees F and 89 degrees F was 2.0".

IF you are worried about 2" at 400 yards, i suggest you have bigger things to worry about!

T. O'Heir

"...truck would be locked..." That won't stop a thief.
Otherwise, it depends on where you are and what the temperatures are. Still doesn't make enough difference to matter. You can sit in a deer stand all day in November and the ammo will get just as cold as it will in a truck over night.

Marco Califo

I have at times carried an old, worn, inexpensive range bag full of a couple fire bricks to lay around as thief-bait and possibly sacrifice that to grab and run at the range, hoping a bulky $1000 rifle and scope would not be targeted.
Really, I like the idea of toying with idiot criminals
No, I would not leave anything I wanted to keep in a vehicle in my driveway overnight. Although, I have left a rifle in my trunk.
I once had a burglar at a rental property steal two $5 HFT decoy video cameras from a front porch and leave behind working cameras. I hope he gets good video quality or at least likes the flashing red light.

Last edited:

1MoreFord

Has anyone experimented with "temperature sensitive" powders to see how a change in temperature effects accuracy? My nephew used it as an excuse for making a bad shot on a deer. I would be surprised if it made 1/2" difference at 100 Yards even if you developed the load at 90F and shot it at 30F. Has anyone tried it.
I did notice a 50FPS difference in a 45ACP with WST powder. Shooting IDPA so I couldn't tell if any difference in accuracy. I doubt there was a measurable difference.
Accuracy is the Least of the problems with temp sensitive powders.

Winchester used to sell inverse temp sensitive powders. Specifically WW452 and WW473. They had higher velocities in cold weather and lower velocities in hot weather. Scary situation for those of us used to normal powders. Thankfully they are discontinued. It's kind of a shame since 452 was a really nice, clean powder for .45's when the temps were mid range.

M88

TailGator said:
My thoughts are mostly along the lines of Unclenick's second point. I don't leave guns in a vehicle overnight because of the possibility of theft.
Exactly... don't know much about temp making much of a difference, I'm sure it makes SOME difference, it's chemistry after all. But I never... EVER leave firearms unattended in a vehicle. Only exception is when I'm carrying, and I need to go into a school or post office or where they have a "gun free zone". Even then, it's only unattended for the short time I'm away from the vehicle, and it's hidden under a seat. Glove box or center console would be the first place a thief quick enough to break in, in such a short time, would look.

spacemanspiff

I wouldn't do it anymore, but for a few years, I left my range bag and ammo in the bed of my truck (had a tonneau cover). Wasn't locked, but everything was in three totes I had tied down so they wouldn't slide all around the bed as I drove.

I left them there because I was tired of hauling my ammo and bag in and out of the truck. I was shooting a lot more frequently back then. the guns of course always came inside.

Its kind of strange to think that in the span of, less than 15 years, crime in my city has increased so much. I never really feared anyone would steal my stuff back then.

45Gunner

Not for nothing, but years ago I owned an Air Taxi Business. I lived in a very affluent and popular part of town. One night I got home late from a Charter Flight. I off-loaded the airplane with life rafts, life vests, South American navigation charts, and basically anything that was not "normal" for domestic overland flight. I was too tired to drop off the equipment in my hanger so I drove home, parked my car in my reserved parking space, went to my condo and called it a night. Late the next morning I went down to my car so I could get back to the airport and lo and behold, my car was not in its space. Thinking maybe I left it else where, I searched in all the other places I would have left it. I slowly came to the realization that the car was stolen, along with thousands of dollars worth of equipment that I usually would never leave in my trunk. The police said that the car was probably already in a container on the way to South America. It took me days of work that I did not need to put together sales receipts and inventories of what was stolen. I learned my lesson never to leave anything in my car that I did not want to lose. Sometimes its easier to replace the car than the equipment lost inside of it.

This applies to range bags. If I don't want to lose my guns, ammo, ear and eye protection and the other stuff I accumulated in my bag over the years, I don't leave the bag in my car.

Living in South Florida, I would not even leave my range bag in my car which is locked in my garage overnight. There is a wide range of temperature differences between daytime and nighttime temps in the garage and thus a spread in humidity...all of which is not good for ammo nor is it good for metal guns and gun parts.

FITASC

As to the ammo; it will depend on how cold it gets. I left some shotgun reloads in a vehicle overnight while on vacation and the next day I got a lot of poofy reports because that powder/primer combination really don't like cold weather (was about 32 overnight)