Leaving Media in the Flash Hole

chasep255

I perfer to tumble after I size to get the lube off of the case. Often there is a piece of walnut stuck in my flash hole. If I don't remove it the cartridge will still fire but is it really a good practice?

Last edited:

wncchester

I'm more concerned about hang fires than failure to fire. I elimanated the problem by going to a 40/20 media grit. It's too fine to plug a flash hole and works just as well as the larger stuff.

jhansman

I decap and resize my brass before tumbling, so I get media stuck all the time. The next step for me when the brass comes out of the tumbler and is separated from the media is to clean the primer pocket, so I punch out any stuck walnut then. I wouldn't leave the flash hole blocked, but that's just me.

Ozzieman

If I don't remove it the cartridge will still fire but it it really a good practice?
I would consider it dangerous.

Sky Master

I sometimes get a piece of walnut in the flash hole too. I reload on a Dillon 650 so leaving the decapping pin in the sizing die will knock the walnut out, otherwise you may need to put the die with the decapping pin back in your press and run it thru again. Or change to 40/20 as wncchester mentioned

All you have to do is empty all the media out of the cases and tumbler and put only the cases back in. Run it for a minute or two and viola! I got this tip off another thread and it works. You still need to check them but I would guess it works for minimum 9 out of 10 cases.

It is a little loud but it works for me!

Tim R

I perfer to tumble after I size to get the lube off of the case. Often there is a piece of walnut stuck in my flash hole. If I don't remove it the cartridge will still fire but is it really a good practice?

no