Leaving handgun in car?

MikeGoob

I do not carry often. I have toddlers that always climb on me when I come home from work or whenever we're out really. And I don't mind, I don't feel the need to carry all the time.

I cannot carry at work.

I want to have the option to carry when I am out without my kids and usually that means straight from work to go somewhere. To me, having a lockbox under a seat (wrapped around with a cable) seems like a good option. My car is in our attached garage at home every night.
https://www.amazon.com/SnapSafe-Lockbox-Handgun-Storage-Pistols/dp/B00FATWGSU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1478226721&sr=8-5&keywords=small+lock+box+with+cable

Some people have said this is a terrible idea to leave a gun in the car. Are there better options? Am I an awful gun owner? ideas?

Old Bill Dibble

The odds are very low that it will get stolen if the car is locked and the garage is locked; they will steal the box if they need to. If it is a simple lock box it can be defeated in about two seconds with a screw driver.

Your call.

jdscholer

I've got a hunch that a lot of us use a similar method, or some variation of it. I got my CCW license not so much so I could pack 24/7 on my body, (I just can't). But I do usually have a weapon legal and loaded, and hidden, either in my vehicle, or on my person. jd

jmhyer

I don't really see a huge risk here. However, in the interest of minimizing time in the car, I'd suggest taking the lockbox in the house once you get home and taking it back to the car when you leave the house.

NWCP

I carry whenever possible. If I go in the house for the evening my gun goes with me. Let's face it. They steal your car they get a bonus, they have your gun. JMHO

cc-hangfire

Everyone's situation is different, & your proposed solution seems reasonable. I use a cabled lock box in my vehicle for when I have to disarm & go in a courthouse or post office, etc. I expect you will get the full range of comments from "it's ok" to "it's the most dangerous thing you can do". I really depends on your layers of security (lockbox, vehicle, garage) and your neighborhood. Anything can happen anywhere, but the odds of something happening vary depending on location.

As John Wayne is reputed to have said, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do." If you carry all the time and need to enter a post office, you have a choice: leave the gun in your car, or become an instant felon. That's a no-brainer for me.

Once you decide you don't intend to be a felon, then you look for the best/safest way to minimize the risks associated with leaving a gun in your car. In the end, though, stealing a gun out of a locked car is a crime. If someone else wants to commit a criminal act because I chose NOT to be a criminal, it's on them. I don't carry my nicest pistol for that reason, and if someone does steal my carry gun I'll be unhappy but I doubt I'll lose sleep over it.

g.willikers

That kind of lock box can be opened without too much trouble, as Old Bill sez.
But it will probably stop the usual car burglar.
I keep a good quality steel lock box bolted to the floor of my car, that uses a good padlock.
Small circuit breaker boxes that can be padlocked work well.
I find them at garage sales and flea markets for a fraction of their new prices.
There are kits to add padlocks to ammo boxes, too.
Now, that's sturdy.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Ammo-can-lock/

Last edited:

TailGator

I think it is a reasonable solution, and use one myself when I have to leave my pistol in my car. I look at that and other situations like this: Any such device can be defeated, but defeating it takes time, makes noise, and might attract attention. If a ne'er-do-well moves onto an easier target because of the increased risk that the lock box poses, it did its job. Judging from newspaper reports, most car burglaries around here are from people leaving their car unlocked. I have little sympathy for the losses of people who are that careless, to be honest.

Cheapshooter

In most cases a tieif breaking into a vehicle is after what he can get quickly. They don't want to spend a lot of time in one location so if it isn't easy to get they will move on to the next target. The lock boxes do a pretty good job of deterring them. Although a determined thief will still defeat almost any anti-theft devices.
I think this one is a little more secure than the example you showed.
http://m.hornady.com/store/TriPoint-Lock-Box

Last edited:

rebs

How hard is it to open The Hornady lock box with cable, it has the round key to open it. Can it be opened easily or is it as good as any other option ?

Cheapshooter

I think the advantage of the TriPoint is in the three locking lugs. One on each side in addition to the usual one on the end. Making it more difficult to pry the sides open. Yes, the key lock can be defeated with enough time, and tools like a screwdri er, and hammer. I'm sure the cable could be cut as well with the right tools. However, smash and grab breakins aren't usually done by people carrying a lot of tools. But again it is that important time consumption that would deter most thieves.

Old Bill Dibble

There are kits to add padlocks to ammo boxes, too.

I have an ammo can lock box I keep stuff in. It is very handy. Most padlocks can be defeated in 2 seconds with a crescent wrench and a screw driver or alternatively a hammer. A heavy duty padlock, the kind made in the US and costing over $20 with a nice thick shank require cutting with a hack saw.

spacecoast

I don't have small kids and have carried a snubby revolver in the center console of each of my cars for well over 5 years with no problems at all. Nobody needs to know it's there except those who drive the car. I park in the garage at night (strange, I know).

One tip - if your weather is hot and humid, use nickel plated cases. Plain brass will get green and produce green stuff (verdigris).

rpseraph

Co-worker had his loaded gun under the seat in his unlocked car... someone took it. I am SO annoyed by this. He blames his son for not locking the doors... but I blame him because he didn't bring in his gun "because it was late and I didn't feel like it." He is contributing to the stereotype that gun owners are irresponsible! Rant over.

Your situation, locked car, closed garage, locked box, cabled to car... NO problems with this. While it doesn't stop the problem of your car being stolen with your gun in it... that is a calculated risk.

Everything in life carries some element of risk. A gun in a lockbox that's inside a locked automobile requires a thief to defeat two safety devices to get the gun. How much is a gun owner required to do?

Most of us probably keep most of our guns locked in a safe at home. Thieves have been known to break into gun safes, or just cart the whole thing away. Is the owner reckless and careless because his safe full of guns was stolen?

Once you start with that logic, there's no stopping.

jmr40

How much is a gun owner required to do?

Depends on location and philosophy. As far as I'm concerned, and to meet legal standards here, if the gun is out of sight and in a locked vehicle I've met my legal and moral obligation. Using a lock box or cable is added protection that is optional in my opinion.

FAS1

One of the stronger options available that still fits under most seats. It has a much heavier cable option than most and a mounting bracket option as well. If you have room for the bracket it adds another level of security.

uc