Learning my 1858

AzShooter

What a magnificent day. Woke up and it was 66 degrees out in Phoenix. Called my friend and we both headed to Ben Avery to try out our new 1858 Remington reproductions.

First time in months we could get a table to shoot on without having to wait for an hour. Hunters are all in the wood now and that's a good thing.

I shoot USPSA matches with a revolver and love it. But, this BP stiff is a gas. It's great, slow paced and very relaxing. We have a 15 minute shooting time, followed by a safety break to set targets, then back to 15 minutes.

I found I can reliably load 6 chambers and shoot in about 11 minutes without rushing. Then just relax for the rest of the time. Much more comforting that shooting 100 round of .38s or .45s in the same time frame.

What I learned. Have everything you need neatly layed out on the bench in front of you. Caps are left at the shooting table so there is no chance of a cap going off by your powder supply. I loaded powder, then wad for each chamber and then put the ball on top of the charged chambers. This way I could see the patch wad and know the chamber was ready for the ball.

My friend loaded powder in each chamber, then the wad and ball. His first relay he had one with no powder. Taught us both to watch what we were doing.

I only fired 18 rounds my first trip out. Buddy fired six because of his earlier problem. He got frustrated. But I think I'll stick to it. Already looking at another BP pistol. The 1858 is wonderful but really doesn't fit my hand well and I shake too much with it. Still managed decent groups at 10 yard. Learning a new gun I can't see going past 10 for sight in.

One main problem. How much grease to use in front of each cylinder? Do you fill it up? Use exactly the same amount on each? How do you measure it out?

I used some Dow Corning #4 compound that I got with an old box of black powder pistol equipment at a local gun dealer. My friend had the stuff from Cabelas but it didn't work at all. Was a pure liquid in 75 degree weather, by the time we were shooting our pistols.

marcseatac

They are really cool. I own a 1858 Rem and I just recently got the 1861 Colt Navy .36 with the steel frame (Pietta). Haven't shot the Navy yet, it's a beautiful gun.

A really enjoyable day is to go out in the sticks set up a table and chair, get some interesting things to shoot at and just relax and enjoy BP cap and ball shooting.

oldmaster111

I've got 3 cap and ball revovlers ( one is a 58 Remington) and they are great. I don't use grease in the summer ,as we are both from AZ, you know why. I have used just plain Crisco and it worked fine, but as long as you are using a wad over the powder, there isn't much chance of a chain fire. When I do use grease, I fill up whats left of the chamber, just because it's easier.

sundance44s

Sundance44s

I just grease 2 cylinder holes on my 1858 Remmies with a crisco /beeswax mix ..and it won`t run down yer leg or grease your gun leather ..and its plenty of lube to keep the fouling soft in the bore and the cylinder stays free for a days shooting .

I used Crisco, but in colder weather I've got Sparky Grease. I named a deer I killed Sparky and rendered his fat into grease. In covering the cylinders, I cover up to the top. For safety, it's more important that the ball be slightly oversized such that it leaves a shaved ring after it is rammed down the cylinder. This ensures a tight fit and perhaps does more than anything else to prevent a spark from jumping from one cylinder to another.

Whisk

AZ: I got the Remington New Army from Cabela's for $179 and have run a couple hundred balls through it. I used patchs at first but when I ran out of the ones that came with my kit, I just used 25 grs of powder and the .454 ball right on top of it, no patch. Hodgon's recommends no patch just FTR&FWIW.......

I would like to get the Cabela's 1861 (I think it is) as its only $125! They are good little guns, no FFL, lots of bang for the buck!

sundance44s

Sundance44s

Those wern`t patches that came with the starter kit for a revolver those are called wads .. whole lots of different ... patches are for wrapping around round balls when shot from rifles and single shot pistols . Those little wads you have are expencive and not needed , they recomend them to prevent chain fires and thats all they are good for .. some lube on the top of the balls after loading will also stop the chain fires from happening from the front ..and good fitting caps will stop then from the rear .

Whisk

Thats right they were wads. But if your shooting properly sized balls (tight fit shaving off a little ring of lead) you shouldn't need patches in a revolver anyway right?

I've been using #11 primers but they sometimes come off during shooting. I always stop and put another one on but maybe I should use #10's ?

Trouble is I bought a box of a thousand #11's!

sundance44s

Sundance44s

I`ve never used the wads under my ball at all ..and never had a chain fire ..but that doesn`t mean it couldn`t happen ..so if you don`t mind buying the little wads it`s just an added safty feature .... the cap problem ..something we all have been through ...too bad ya bought 1000 of the ones that don`t fit well .. maybe you could sell them to a muzzle loader .
There are caps that will fit right with out pinching them , and stay put through the recoil of fireing . If the #11 falls off try the #10`s and it may take another brand of cap ...it did on my remmies ..they seem to like the remington #10 caps best .. i never have one fall off or a failure and i`ve tried all the brands out there even the ones from Germany in the little pink tins .
When ya get it right .. you`ll really enjoy your shooting .

arcticap

You should hold on to those #11 caps, they might fit another gun that you'll buy in the future...or if the nipples are ever replaced, then you'll already have the caps that will fit. :rolleyes:

Smokin_Gun

They'll (CCI#11)stay on the Pietta, you may need to squeeze them a hair. #10CCI need to be hammer seated or dowel seated on my Uberti and Pietta 1858's. If you hammer seat or dowel seat remember to put a cap on each cone my hand first, then seat them.

KW-Bane

I think you are right on saying its relaxing to shoot BP replicas.

I have 2- .44cal Rem's and 1- .36cal '61 Navy Colt.

The .36 I make my own conicals, it shoots very well, and to me it looks really cool!

**Caution** Use only Manufacturer's recommended components in your black powder firearms** Using other components not recommended by Manufacturer may cause injury to self, bystanders and/or firearm**
I read an article in a gun mag that said using "corn meal over the powder charge instead of a wad". "Use just enough that would help aid in filling air gap but not too much as to pack and crush the powder". He went on to say "it aids in the cleaning of the bore after each shot".
I've personally tried it, and I must say, it workes really well!

I also use Crico mixed with beeswax and it works great!

**Caution**Never under any circumstances modify any firearm yourself, take it to a "qualified gunsmith"**
One of my .44cal's is brass frame, the other is all steel frame w/ adjustable sights that I purchased a conversion kit to shoot .45 colt cartridges (the .44 cal. BP is really a .45 cal. The lead balls for this cal. come in 2 diff sizes both are larger than .450", I use .454" which is .45cal). With some "cowboy" loads it shoots better groups @ 25yds (1 1/2" 6 shots) than my .45 colt Ruger Blkhk.

I think the .36 is my favorite BP revolver to shoot....and it really looks cool:D
I don't think I ever timed my shooting with the BP's, but with only 45mins to shoot at the range I know I can push max 100 rnds of .45's without rushing too much.

Whisk

I was kiddin'. I'll hang on to em. Next time I go out I'll try pinchin' 'em a little.

I figure there's more danger of chain ignition from the back (nipple) than from the front especially the tight fit I have with my .454 balls but I will always stop firing now if one comes off and replace it!

Funny, BP shooting relaxes me too.......

Bettern' Jack Daniels.......

Vinagre

I found a mixture of beeswax and neatsfoot oil works well and does not run on hot days (>100 where I live in summer at times). Vary the oil and wax depending on where you live, heat it well in a bowl inside a pot of water so it mixes good. Once mixed I pour it in a gladware container so it can cool and set up and just scoop it from there at the range. Crisco is a cheaper alternative and works well also for fouling but not on hot days. I buy some tongue depressor type wood sticks at the local crafts store and with a gob of whatever I am using on the end of one, wipe it across above the ball and fill the rest of the cylinder. Never had a problem with fouling, never used a wad.....

I also had to shift from CCI #11's to Remington #10's to get rid of cap issues...

Trigger_Hippy

Soak your own wads

I also use the wax-oil combo. I punch out my own felt wads and soak them in 50% hard bees was and 50% olive oil. It isn't messy like Crisco lube over, gives better chain fire protection than Wonder Wads (too dry in my opinion), softens fouling, and the exess wax even helps to keep my arbor lubed.

Some people more enterprising than me also use lube pills. Then there is Diane, she shoots "naked."

--T