Learning from each others mistakes.

howlnmad

I think it's a good thing for us to post mistakes we've made so maybe others can learn from them.

Today I was loading up some 30-30 Win rounds for a test. 20 rounds using 150 grain Core-Lkt bullets and H-335 powder. I was going with a max charge of 34 grain and working down by.2 grain. I started eighing and seating until I got down to 33 grain. The next weight on my list went to 30.8 :eek:.:eek: Luckily for me, I was checking of each weight as I seated the bullet and caught my error before I had to go back and pull bullets.

I'm just saying that you can NEVER double check yourself to much.

howlnmad

No! My max charge weight would have been 34 grain. This is still below listed max. I was just charging cases starting from my max charge and working down. I was NOT SHOOTING these. These were rounds for a ladder test.

ScottRiqui

He wasn't *shooting* them from top-down, that's just the order he was *making* them. If I understand correctly, the mistake he almost made was going way too light on his load. He meant to load this sequence of batches:

etcetera

But instead, he had written out this:

I don't know how low he was originally planning on going, but presumably it wasn't all the way down to 30.8 gr.

603Country

I wouldn't load any max loads until I had worked my way up from the lower powder charges. You may run into pressure problems before you even get to the 'book' max loads. Chances are that you won't have pressure problems, but if you do you'll have to disassemble some ammo. Still...I can say that because I have a range in the back yard and I don't have to drive 20 miles to shoot.