Learn From My Mistake: Contaminated Powder

Dave R

When I went shooting yesterday, one batch of bullets was obviously under-loaded. Would not cycle the action on my pistol.

First time this has happened to me in 8 years of reloading. I went home determined to diagnose the problem. Didn't take long. When I poured powder into the measure, something did not look right. Spread out some powder to examine. This is what I saw.

ContaminatedPowder.jpg

You powder gurus will probably recognize Unique mixed in with TiteGroup.

I know the rule--only one powder on the table at a time. I thought I had adhered to the rule perfectly. But apparently, when I unloaded the powder measure after loading some rounds with Unique, I poured the remaining powder into my TiteGroup jug.

Even worse, last time I reloaded, I did NOT catch the error. I used the contaminated powder. So my loads were a duplex of a fast powder and a slower powder.

Fortunately, I loaded to the spec of the fast powder, so I got lite rounds. If I had reversed the error, I might have loaded to the spec of the slow powder, and gone dangerously over-pressure. I could've blown up a gun, or blown up my hand, or blown up myself.

Its a sobering reminder to exercise appropriate care when reloading. Only cost me part of a pound of powder. Could've been much worse.

3kgt2nv

one of the reasons i only load handguns with unique. it works for almost everything and no need to worry about cross contamination. just how much the measure is spitting out.

good job on catching the error and taking care of it.

Sevens

Your post is a very well written and accurate recap of a very large failure. I can't find a single part of your post that I would disagree with.

It's a very, very good example of precisely what NOT to do, and I hope it does exactly the job you intended when you wrote it.

Thanks for the reminder and glad it worked out in the best possible way for you!

Ultravox

Thanks for posting this reminder and I'm glad that nothing bad happened to you.

A pound of powder is a small price to pay.

spacecoast

Another good reason for using dippers and dedicated containers. ;) Thanks for posting, glad you erred on the "safe" side.

serf 'rett

So many details and so much that can "go wrong" in this reloading business.
Thanks for the reminder. I'm thinking that when I build my Ultimate Reloading Bench that the power will still be stored in the closet so only one can will ever be out at a time (Current SOP).

rclark

The power will still be stored in the closet so only one can will ever be out at a time.
Yep, that is the solution. When I look at my loading bench, there will be only one powder container (or none) on the bench. Period. When done reloading for that session, the powder measure is emptied back into the container. Anyway, you'll not make that mistake again! Bet that got the heart rate up a bit when you say the 'mix' :) .

Thanks for posting!

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Shooting bench or reloading bench my rule after a couple of close calls and I couple of "I can't remember if I did or didn't", was to go back to safety rule no 4, section C paragraph 2 line B. Only one caliber, one gun, one powder, one primer on the shooting line or on the reloading bench at one time. It's a pain in the caboose sometimes but the little extra time to put everything I'm not working with or shooting at that moment away has given me much peace of mind.

Glad it worked out okay for you this time but you never know that one day of complacency, a minor slip and things get exciting. I only want excitement on the target.

Orochimaru

Thanks for sharing. Thankfully, this mistake ended up in the "safe" direction and not in the other one!

This is a great reminder for all of us.

papa shooter

glad

First I am glad you have all 10 fingers to type with. Me I only use 2 but like having all 10 for other things. Now back to your story. I only use 2 powders myself, Bullseye for pistols and 4064 for my rifles. It keeps thing simple and easy to manage.

Be safe, and good shooting

Papa

Ideal Tool

Hello, Dave, glad your not hurt.
Just a heads up for another way different powders can become mixed...pulling bullets! I had three different powder .38 special loads that didn't proove accurate..so, one Sunday morning..there I was on porch (Wife was sleeping in & didn't want to wake her), with my kenetic bullet puller & containers for powder, brass, & bullets.
Everything went fine..until mind started to wander & when I checked one of the powder containers..it had mixed grains!..so much for saving time. Just glad I wasn't pouring powder directly back into original containers!
Now, I only pull & salvage one specific powder loaded ammo at a time.

markdoddridge

Your lucky nothing happened. This is more a casse of complacency than doing anything in particular wrong. Theres no way ensure that this wont happen other than paying attention to detail

Dave R

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I have revised my powder storage/usage procedures. Good diagnosis Mark--complacency was the root cause. I'm glad several hundred people have seen this reminder to avoid complacency.

Tim R

Grump said it Dave. You did not invent a new thing. When I mixed both powders were stick. I dumped about 1/4 of a pound of Varget into 2 lbs + of Reloder 15.