Leaky valve on Lee Electric Leadpot.

Big Bunny

I bought an beaten-up and dirty old Lee 10lb leadpot yesterday for $25AUD and it works well, but it has a leaky bottom-pour valve, which drips a lot.
I intend to cast bullets,12GA slugs and 'sinkers' for slingshots.

It would be nice to stop this ...but not essential I suppose, but the rest of the machine cleaned up really well.

Any ideas on curing this annoying problem..?

Also any ideas on fluxing. Is Blue and Grey powder OK or is there something better?

BB

BB

swifter...

I had much the same problem. I solved it by dismantling the actuating arm for the valve, so I could get the valve rod out.
It drops into a hole, and sometimes it just needs some crud cleaned off the opening and rod, so they fit, and sometimes they need a little lapping compound, and spin the rod back and forth in the hole until the fit is good. It worked for mine. Another thought is to contact Lyman and get a new rod, if they still have them.
But try lapping first. Its cheap.:D
Almost forgot! You'll have to have emptied the pot first.
Its also a lot more fun to work on after it cools...:D

Target Shooter

Use swifters advise on cleaning the rod. Get the pot hot and drain all the lead then clean the rod tip and the pour hole. The hole gets dirty from running the pot too low or completely out of lead. Just clean and you should be OK.
I use Marvelux to flux my lead alloy. It is made exclusively for fluxing lead alloy's and it works great.

TS

Paul B.

Big Bunny. There is a slot at the top of the pouring rod. Use a screwdriver and turn it back and forth a few times. If this does not doe it, take a pair of vise-grip pliers and a nail that will fit into the pour spout from underneath. Push it in and out of the hole a couple of times. This will usually take care of the problem. If you really want to clean a lead melting pot out, drain all the lead out, turn it upside down (with gloves of course) and tap it gently on the ground to get what little amount of lead is left in the pot. Turn the heat level down to about 2 or 3 and fill the pot with water. let it come to a boil. While boiling, scrub it out with a stainless steel brush. Scrub the pin that opens and closes the pour hole as well. Pour out water, and see how nice and clean the pot gets.
I know it sounds screwy, but I got this from one of the cast Bullets Associations magazine ,The Fouling Shot. It takes all of about 10 to 15 minutes to do it, and the pot works better and heats the lead faster. Just be sure to let it get dry, before melting more lead.
Paul B.