Leadhead ammo ?

T. O'Heir

'Lead head' doesn't mean anything. Isn't a standard term. I'd guess whoever used it means cast though.
Leading is caused by trying to drive a cast or non-plated swaged bullet too fast. A copper wash won't stop it. Usually seen on .22 LR. Copper plating will though. Most plated bullets are swaged lead. Swaged means it's a pure lead bullet(literally made out of a pure lead wire that gets squeezed/pressed to size) and is very soft.

James K

Member In Memoriam
"Head" is a common term in some areas for a bullet, especially one loaded in a case, so I would assume "lead head" would mean any plain lead bullet. Thin copper wash does act as a lubricant to a point and is used in lieu of messy grease on the bullet. It wears off in firing and does not prevent leading in the barrel.

The use of "head" for the bullet or front of the cartridge can be confusing, since in the correct terminology, the "head" of a cartridge case is the rear end, hence "head stamp" for the caliber and maker markings.

Jim

mete

English is such a difficult language !! :confused: If you know anything about ships you know what the 'head 'is !!
People like to invent words that are confusing and give you a 'headache' :rolleyes:

tmail65

the correct terminology, the "head" of a cartridge case is the rear end, hence "head stamp" for the caliber and maker markings.

====

Great info, never knew this!!!!

mehavey

You aren't confusing "Leadhead" with "Leadhead Bullets" are you?
(Who, by-the-way, supplies absolutely superb cast bullets)

kozak6

I could see a layman describing a softpoint bullet as a "leadhead".

Otherwise, it might mean Leadhead brand cast bullets.

Leading isn't a problem at a reasonable velocities.

Boncrayon

Leadhead ammo?

Yep. Leadhead grabs the groove rifling and clogs them. Full metal jacket prevents this for the most part.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I was unaware of a "Leadheads" brand of bullet; for info, the site is http://www.proshootpro.com

I first encountered the tern "head" many years ago when, as a newbie clerk in a gun shop, I was asked by an old timer for "dirty calbur boolits"; I pulled out some boxes, Speer, Sierra of several weights. The customer rolled his eyes at my ignorance, and told me, "Dems ain't boolits, dems heads, I need boolits!

Realizing then that he wanted cartridges, I asked which "dirty" caliber he needed. His reply was classic: "Hell, I dunno, if'n I'd knew, I wooden ask you!"

After some further discussion, we agreed that he wanted "dirty-dirty" boolits for his "loop gun." Another successful sale!

Jim