Lead or Plated bullets?

Forrest68

Ok, just curious of opinions here, I can get 2000 plated FN bullets for about the same price as 3000 LFN bullets in 124gn 9mm. Only down side to the lead of course is theres a little bit more cleaning required but no big deal, just minimal effort, So with that being said which route would you go? lead or plated? I have accurate loads for either bullets so thats not an issue. So chime in with your thoughts.

chris in va

Lead is fine provided it is sized to .002 over bore diameter. You'll also get more leading if you push this high pressure cartridge too fast. Mine are about 1000fps tops.

lamarw

Agree with Chris; therefore the answer is obvious unless you have a particular reason for the plated. You make a good argument for not needing to increase your bullet cost by 33%. ;)

PA-Joe

Plated are lead bullets and you load them the same as lead bullets. They just have a very thin coating.

Forrest68

Yes, as stated I have good loads for both, minimal leading.

Um and yeah PA-Joe I do know that plated bullets are lead just well plated not sure how that helps?

Pretty much what I was thinking, 33% more bullets with maybe an extra few minutes of cleanign time after hitting the range seemed like a no brainer. Just curious to other thoughts.

YARDDOG(1)

"bullets are lead just well plated not sure how that helps?"

You can't get leading with platted bullets,, If $$ no option, Get the platted by all means.
Me, Well I cast my own & save much $$ Just time and is a hobby I like.

If I was buying bullets I'd get the lead,, They work fine ; )
Y/D

YARDDOG(1)

"bullets are lead just well plated not sure how that helps?"

You can't get leading with platted bullets,, If $$ no option, Get the platted by all means.
Me, Well I cast my own & save much $$ Just time and is a hobby I like.

If I was buying bullets I'd get the lead,, They work fine ; )
Y/D

Forrest68

Ok, I simply asked pros and cons basically of lead over plated, not how to load them, not to explain the difference between the two which is fairly odvious. At this point I like to delete the whole post.:mad:

lamarw

No, this was not a bad post. I have given the same question some thought myself, and it is nice to read the responses.

Recently with all the shortages, I have bought all kinds of bullets to include various gr. sizes just for availability of reloading fodder.

It was nice to recently receive some FMJ .45ACP and 9mm bullets for a change.

So, thanks for bringing up the discussion. :)

LE-28

I've had problems loading lead bullets in 9mm with the dies that I use. A lot of people that load lead will use a separate seating and a separate crimp die.

The problem I've had with the all in one die is that that case will push a ring of lead ahead of the mouth of the case because the bullet is still being seated (moving) when the crimp starts.

I have had to dig lead out of my chamber where the mouth headspaces because of this ring of lead sticking in there from the round going into battery. If you use separate dies this doesn't happen.
If you want to use the standard seating/taper crimp die I would definitely use the plated bullets.
I have been using Barry's plated bullets, which uses midrange jacketed loading data and now Extreeme plated bullets which used full jacketed data (much thicker plating) to get away from all the smoke and choke of using lead bullets and the mess of cleaning up after them.

Berry's plated standard bullets are good for 1250fps as advertised by Berry's on there web site. So, yes, you can use full jacketed data with the 9mm. There Thick plate bullets are good for 1500fps.
No smoke and stink, but they cost more.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q21-c1-Load_Data_for_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx

Extreeme and Speer Gold dot plated bullets are both good for 1500fps.

Raniers plated bullets has the thinnest plating of any of the plated bullets I know of, you have to use lead data with them or you could leave a piece of plating in your barrel.

My problem with lead bullets is finding bullets soft enough that they will seal in the barrel without gas cutting and the subsequent leading that goes with it.

8-12 brinell is all the harder they need to be and they also have to fit the barrel you are using or they won't seal up anyways without leading. To hard and you will also have leading.

Most modern domestic 9mms will take between .356-.357 dia lead bullets but a lot of the older 9s, especially European models could take up to .360 dia bullets to get them to fit properly.

Some people can make lead work well for them in 9mm. I could never do it.

MJFlores

I used to burn through lead bullets with my .44. I'd buy boxes of 1000 nack in the early 90's I used to load them in 44 special cases just as plinkers. I will admit that it was fun and cheap but it kinda soured me on lead as the cleaning really was a lot more than with jacketed bullets. They're better than nothing, but I've made up my mind to not use lead. I'm not really sure about health concerns either...plated makes me feel better.

Hammerhead

I like plated in 9mm. Combined with the right powder (Universal) the gun stays far cleaner far longer. I get solid accuracy.
I'm starting to prefer them in .357 for reduced loads as well.

I load mostly Rainiers and Berry's and have never run into any issues with plating. I've had the Rainier plated .356" 130 RN over 1,250 fps in a .38 Super and a variety of 9mm bullets over 1,100 in a Glock 17L with no plating issues and no fouling of any kind.

Last edited:

madmo44mag

I like platted bullets when I can get them close to lead prices.
I experimented with them is 44 mag
Using Berry’s and Rainer I could push a 240 gr plated bullet to 1200 fps before the plating would fail and leading started.
It allows me to load up to 1100 fps not using a true jacketed bullet.
Back when I was a young man I loved full bore mag loads and beyond (another story there)
Now I prefer low level loads in the 1100 fps range not the 1450 - 1550 range I use to shoot 44mag at.

Plated bullets tend to have softer lead cores, so if the plating is stripped from the bullet, you then have an undersized soft lead bullet passing through the bore. Two ingredients that both lead to leading of the barrel. I don't use plated bullets and never have an issue with cast lead bullets that are at least .001" above groove diameter. You might want to slug the bore of your pistol to be sure because you'll find variations in groove diameter with different brands of 9mm pistols. Loading cast lead bullets in 9mm is no different than loading them for magnum revolvers so long as they are properly sized and adequately hard. Most commercially cast bullets run 17 - 18 BHN and if they're .001" or greater above groove diameter, they don't have to be limited to 1000 FPS. If you slug your bore and find that it is over .355", companies like Missouri Bullet Co. will custom size your bullets accordingly. You might also want to try these folks: http://www.bulletworks.com/bulletworks/bulletworks.html They're about 80 miles or so North of me and their quality control is top-notch. The bullets I have bought from them appear to come from the same molds that Missouri Bullet Co. uses. ;)

Forrest68

For lead I'm using Friendswood another Texas outfit, great product, they are .356 with a BNH of 18 I get very minimal leading I shoot well over 100 rounds(most times closer to 200rounds) during a visit to the range. Plated I've had very nice bulets from Rocky Mountain Reloading, very face turn around and quality bullets. I'm leanen hard to the lead side, I do shoot alot and often, maybe next time I'll go the plated route.:cool: