Lead-core, not bi-metal .223 question....

Skans

I'm looking to purchase bulk .223/5.56 ammo. Cheap. I do not care about performance. But, it must be lead-core, not bi-metal. I have plenty of the bi-metal cartridges, but the indoor ranges have really clamped down on using this stuff. So, I need some acceptable, cheap range ammo.

1. Does any of the steel-cased stuff have lead (not bi-metal) bullets?
2. If the answer to 1 is "No", then what is the cheapest bulk .223/5.56 ammo with lead bullets.

Jim Watson

Psst. Most econoball has lead cores. The "bi-metal" term applies to the jacket; copper plated steel. Privi and Wolf Gold are the least expensive copper jacket ammo I see.

Skans

The problem is that some are advertised as "lead-core" bi-metal, but are actually steel-jacketed lead-core bullets. This can be tested with a magnet.

Jim Watson

That's what "bi-metal" MEANS in these ads, copper plated steel jacket over lead core.

Does your range object to steel jackets or steel cores? Both, most likely, they are hard on bullet traps.

Skans

Both. No steel permitted in the bullet. Yes, I know what "bi-metal" means. The problem is I can't tell on the ammo retailers websites which ammo is bi-metal and which is not. For example, some of the Tula says "bi-metal", and then some different types just don't say.

Normally, I don't care about the bi-metal cartridges. But, I need the all lead/copper jacketed stuff as cheap as I can get it in bulk.

Skans

It seems like you can get Wolf Gold for around $330 shipped if you look around some. That doesn't seem too bad. Thanks!

mdemetz

One vendor's description of Wolf Gold;

| Wolf Gold 223 | 55gr FMJ | Velocity: 3250 FPS | Brass Case | Boxer Primed | NO STEEL ANYWHERE |