Lead bullets in a Glock?

Tanzer

I don't care for Glocks. I think they're good guns, I just don't care for them. My wife absolutely loves her 34 9MM. I have about 500 rounds of lead bullets I reloaded for my Taurus 9MM, and don't use them much since I went up to a .45, and load plated now.
I've been told that the hex rifling of the Glock makes lead bullets a bad idea. I can always save them for the Taurus for the few times I shoot it, but is it really that bad to run them through the Glock?

Silvanus

It is really that bad. I wouldn't risk blowing it up if I were you. Somebody else can probably explain to you in detail why it's not safe, but it is definitely dangerous and not accurate at all (I've seen a guy shoot some lead bullets in a Glock 19 once).

HighValleyRanch

For about 75.00 you can find an after market drop in barrel that will shoot lead bullets.
I found a ported one. The barrel is longer than the slide, so the port are in front, and it will shoot lead fine.

Tanzer

Thanks,
Not worth buying a new barrel, I'll just save 'em. Within a year I'll be teaching my teen to use a pistol. I'll stuff 'em in the Taurus at that time.

spyderdude

Although there are aftermarket barrels available for Glocks, I choose to stick with the stock barrel. I have no problem buying factory loaded FMJ ammo for my G19. I've heard too many bad things happen with aftermarket barrels, especially in the .40 cal Glocks. My G19 is my primary carry gun, and I wanna leave it the way it is.

shepherddogs

I've shot plenty of lead bullets through Glocks. The lead does accumulate faster in these barrels. Theoretically it raises pressure as the bore becomes more and more constricted. I don't shoot hot lead loads anyway so in my mind this lower pressure offsets the theoretical increase. Also I clean the barrel regularly. In other words you can do it but use good judgement and keep the bore clean. Others may disagree but thats my .02

hodaka

I doubt you would have a problem with 500 rounds. I have shot many more than that through my 1988 (more or less) G17. I just recently learned of the exploding Glock. They aren't nearly as accurate as jacketed bullets though but they are good enough to train someone. If you clean the barrel now and then, you should be okay. Another county heard from.

W.E.G.

Indeed, you CAN get by with shooting lead bullets in a Glock.

But, these loads are almost by definition some sort of handload. If you constructed them yourself, and you are 150% sure each round is perfect, you will probably get by with it. If you clean the barrel thoroughly, and often.

Where you really get into the danger zone with any lead bullet in a Glock is when you are shooting somebody else's reloads ("range ammo"), and you can't check to make sure each round is constructed to proper spec.

To me, its just more trouble than its worth. If you shop around you can find first-quality, jacketed-bullet ammo for less than 18 cents per round.

Don't let this happen to you.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I
The guy who posted the video sent me a message confirming that "reloads" were involved.

The only way you are going to achieve the economy of scale needed to have any real savings through the use of lead-bullet ammo, is to shoot a LOT of it. At that point, you are back to the quality-control, and lead build-up issue if a Glock is part of the equation.

I just can't figure out how I'm really saving any money (if "risk" has a price - and certainly if my time spent at the reloading press has a price) by shooting lead in a Glock.

Jason_G

Don't shoot lead in anything with polygonal rifling.
If you absolutely just have to shoot lead, the best bet would be hard cast, medium velocity.
I still say no lead, though.

Jason

Tanzer

As I said , It's my wife's gun. Every gun in this house gets cleaned immediately after shooting. Usually 100 rounds. I've reloaded for years, and the bullets are well made. I got a deal a ways back on some lead RN's, & did 'em up for another gun. I just don't want to see her get hurt. If there's any issues, I'll just save them. I' loading her FMJ's now. Thanks!

Edward429451

I've ran so much lead through my G21 that I prolly qualify for a darwin nomination. I've ran mmm, up to 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it at a time and never really seen a whole lot of lead come back out of it while cleaning. I use .452 bullets and usually hardcast also.

I do not encourage this practice and admittidly have stopped shooting lead through it. Mr. Justin Case Murphy does not like me and I know it.

The only reason I ever did it was (a), I'm cheap, (b) the 45acp operates at roughfl 1/2 the pressure that the 9's do, and (c) they were only my own reloads which I stay somewhat below max whereas commercial cast loads are unknown recipe, and finally (d) I clean it well.

I most certainly would not even think about shooting lead from any other glock besides the 45acp version. Too many KB stories.