Lead bullets for 308 and 30-06

hootey

Having read a couple magazine articles about light loads with 308 or the 30-06, using heavy lead bullets, anyone ever try em? Lee loading manual has some roll your own recipes for several rounds. Thought it might be interesting to try. Thanks for the comments on the 4064 & Varget....Hootey

Works fine. I've run both light and heavy with about 8 to 10 grains of Unique. 6 grains of Bullseye behind a 100 grain cast .32 cal wadcutter that has been sized down by running through a Lee .309" sizing die works, too. Great plinker. I put a small tuft of polyester pillow filler from Wally World over the powder before seating the bullet to keep the powder over the flash hole.

k Squared

I've done it

Hooty,

I've loaded 30-06 rounds with lead bullets.

As you mentioned, you're limited to relatively light loads. They shot fine in my bolt action, but would not cycle my M1.

You'll also need to use gas checks on the bullets.

kraigwy

I've shot a ton of cast bullets in my M1A and M1. When I was shooting for the NG, I unique to push the bullets about 800 fps, for indoor target shooting at 50FT NRA Small Bore targets. It was great for keeping you inshape during the winter months for the up coming high power seasons.

Castbulletassn.org has a lot of info on shooting 30 cal bullets, posting the results of matches and the bullet and powder used.

LHB1

Many years ago I cast some bullets from wheel weight alloy using a SAECO RG-4 mold, seated Hornady crimp on gas checks, and lubed the bullets with ALOX. Then shot them in a .308 rifle at approx 2000 fps. They worked well. This all happened in the early 1970's when Bob Modisette still owned SAECO. He was very helpful in getting me the right mold and offering some tips on best ways to load/shoot the bullets.