lead bullet performance

rodwhaincamo

I own a 44 R Mag and only have Glaser Safety Slugs for home defense. I have read and heard too much about them being inadequate defense rounds. It seems ammo is extremely hard to find now adays other than some lead cowboy type rounds in 44 Spl. Would these be any better? I figure they would easily break up and also give poor performance. Wish I had a reloading bench and tools! Although bullets seem hard to come by as well. Been cotemplating replacing a few rounds with some Winchester JSPs, but feel they are just too much for an apartment environment. Need to find someone who reloads.

Elvishead

rodwhaincamo:

I own a 44 R Mag and only have Glaser Safety Slugs for home defense. I have read and heard too much about them being inadequate defense rounds. It seems ammo is extremely hard to find now adays other than some lead cowboy type rounds in 44 Spl. Would these be any better? I figure they would easily break up and also give poor performance. Wish I had a reloading bench and tools! Although bullets seem hard to come by as well. Been cotemplating replacing a few rounds with some Winchester JSPs, but feel they are just too much for an apartment environment. Need to find someone who reloads.

I don't believe that Glaser are week. Think about it, 165g at 1600FPS! And I'm not sure if somebody's claim they will go through walls either.

I'd stay with the Glasers.

Don P

Personal opinion here, both will be good as long as YOU do your job, hit where and what you aim at. A bazzoka would be useless if you miss.

SIGSHR

I think we are always looking for the "Magic Bullet", barring the invention of a Star Trek type phaser with a heavy stun feature which would be the ideal
self defense weapon IMHO. As Bill Jordan said, speed (and power) are fine but accuracy's final. Evan Marshall has noted that many people, many perps have met their demise from 22LRs, 25ACPs, 32ACPs, etc. and from lead bullets. A CAS style load in 44 Special would I am sure meet with the approval of Jeff Cooper and the Big Bore School.

Tom2

If this is the guy that posted earlier about contemplating using the thing inside an apartment with small children around etc, I think Buffalo Bore loads would not be an ideal choice! Not unless he thinks grizzlies are gonna get into his apt.

LouisianaMan

I'm something of a fan of big, slow bullets that rely on penetration, but NOT in an apartment.

Assuming your only HD gun in the .44MAG, I'd skip the .44SPL RNL and stick with your Glasers, which should do very well if you wind up having to use them. With .44MAG at apartment ranges, I think you'd have to expect any other bullet to penetrate through an intruder and through one or more walls behind him, not to mention any misses.

skydiver3346

.44 ammo for self defense:

;) As The Vigilante said: Try the Buffalo Bore .44 Special in 180 grain JHP. Also, the Hornady .44 Special 180 grain JHP/XTP bullet.

Awesome rounds and should not go through a lot of walls like the magnum bullets. Still very viable self defense round and lower recoil too. Will get the job done for you.