Lead Ban Looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

PawPaw

I don't know where to put this, but it looks like the Lead Ban Bozos have once again petitioned the EPA. I cover it at my blog. They want to ban lead again in sporting ammunition.

It looks like it's time to start giving our elected officials hell. Not that I ever quit, they need to be kept humble.

WWWJD

Pardon my ignorance on the matter... but... so?

I recently saw a show on discovery or the like, where military armorers were digging into lead free. What are the down sides? (aside from trading one soon to be banned metal for another one... that will probably meet the same fate in years to come)?

I've never shot a lead free bullet... haven't really shot much period. I guess I would disagree with this just on principle; bigger problems in the world.

Te Anau

^^^^^ your ballistics are likely to change quite a bit and Im quite sure the $$$$ we pay for ammo will go up substantially.Those are negatives as far as Im concerned.

2damnold4this

Some downsides include more expensive ammunition and loss of accuracy in some firearms. It's also difficult to find non lead ammunition for classic firearms such as .32-40 etc.

PawPaw

WWWJD said:
What are the down sides?

I think that the biggest down side is the government telling us what we can do and cannot do.

Lead has been used in bullet making since man learned that rocks couldn't be cast into convenient forms. Cost, availability, convenience. I can still make my own lead bullets, and frequently do. Lots of us use lead bullets.

One thing that bothers lots of banners is that I can make my own ammo at home. If I've got primers I'm good to go. Actually, if I step back into the eighteenth century, I don't even need primers. I know how to make black and I can cast my own bullets. That drives them crazy, and the folks who govern me should be crazy.

NWPilgrim

Lead free is way more expensive. It doesn't always perform as well as lead. Look at what happened to wetland hunting when lead was banned: either use poor performing steel shot or very expensive bismuth, tungsten, etc.

Besides, there is no science behind the claim that 20 million birds died from lead poisoning, except maybe kinetic lead "poisoning."

As a handloader I can buy cheap hard cast lead bullets for about $.07 each. To buy a lead-free bullet it will cost about $.50-$1.00 each.

Lead-free programs are really just another attempt to make shooting too expensive to engage in and reduce the number of gun owners and active shooters/hunters.

MagnumWill

Looks like they're going to have to start makin' em with steel cores. AAgghh! Cop killer bullets! Who speaks such heresy!?!? It's OK, antimony works as well. :confused:

Pahoo

Evil never sleeps and we can't afford to;

We all know that it is not about the lead, it's about what is pushing it and rather than accept their lies, perhaps it's better to push them back down their throats. One bight at a time they eventually want to take away my little Single-Six and whatever freedom we have left. Is it a big deal? You bet you backside it is. .... ;)

Ya know, we can dis-prove their lies, any day of the week and why don't we. Lies have no roots and can be blown over with a refreshing breeze of truth. ... :D

Be Safe !!!

Romeo 33 Delta

Again, I was under the impression that the EPA and other Federal agencies have NO jurisdiction with regard to ANY ASPECTS over lead used in rifle and pistol projectiles as a result of the passage of certain provisions of the '68 Gun Control Act.

SHR970

Where it gets interesting is in Pistol ammunition. You have to perform several interesting gyrations to stay clear of becomming "armor piercing" ammunition. PMC used to have a round that was really hollow....as in cookie cutter. A good concept but it was pulled from the market since it looked like it might be problematic as "AP Ammo".

And have any of you tried "Lead Free" 22 rimfire? Talk about overpriced crap.

zippy13

I suspect the military have an ulterior motive: Their change to lead-free ammo isn't so much a desire to go green, but an excuse to increase their ammo budgets. How do you justify a staff of environmentalists, typically found at today's military installations, unless they recommend changes?
Your tax dollars at work.

bamaranger

manufufacturers

Yeah, tell your politicians, but what about the ammo manufacturers?

The current rash of lead free and environmental friendly hunting bullets produced by the big companies is just playing right into the green peoples hands.

I think California has non lead hunting (big game) areas, but entire lines marketed to everybody based on one states (?) localized regs, ....c'mon!

thallub

The current rash of lead free and environmental friendly hunting bullets produced by the big companies is just playing right into the green peoples hands.

+1
Methinks you've got it. Some bullet and ammo companies will likely shill for lead free ammo.

FrankenMauser

Pardon my ignorance on the matter... but... so?

I recently saw a show on discovery or the like, where military armorers were digging into lead free. What are the down sides? (aside from trading one soon to be banned metal for another one... that will probably meet the same fate in years to come)?

I've never shot a lead free bullet... haven't really shot much period. I guess I would disagree with this just on principle; bigger problems in the world.

Really? There's nothing like burying your head in the sand, eh?. "The military is doing it, so it must be good for us, too." :rolleyes:

The "lead free" alternatives are:
A: Harder to work with (things like bismuth and tungsten are extremely brittle, and/or have really high melting points)
B: Stupidly expensive. (bismuth, for example, costs more than $20 / lb; where lead costs less than $1 / lb)
C: Different densities. (performance is dramatically different that with lead)

This petition to ban lead in ammunition is not an attempt to "save the environment". It is an attempt to put thousands of small manufacturers out of business, while driving the cost of ammunition from the remaining larger companies to such high prices that almost no one can afford to shoot. End result: Gun control, without going after guns.

oneounceload

Want to see the difference? Look at folks who use a shotgun and see how much lead ammo costs versus lead-free - it is double to triple the cost

Status
Not open for further replies.