lcr friction reducing cam explanation?

dahermit

From the picture, and if I had to guess (I do not own or have ever examined one), the sear seems to be a separate item from the trigger, unlike S&W's which are an extension of the trigger piece. What it looks like, is that the sear on the Ruger is allowed to rotate (change the angle of engagement), as the trigger is pulled. But, as I said, just a guess.

dahermit

From the video, the sear is not separate from the trigger. From what I see on the video, the Ruger has an essentially standard double-action mechanism. That leaves me at a total loss in understanding what Ruger's "friction reducing cam" is and what it is supposed to do.

g.willikers

This was from http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Ruger_LCR
To prevent a heavy trigger the LCR is fitted with a friction reducing cam, located on the trigger within the frame, to reduce the trigger weight and make the trigger action smoother. The trigger is therefore, unusually for Ruger, a constant force trigger.
The cam must be the part that fits in the top of the trigger and controls the rotation.
It's the part with the pin through it.
At least it looks like a cam.

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
The "new" Ruger mechanism is exactly the same in function as the old S&W system. The only difference is that the Ruger lifter and cam are in a separate part instead of being part of the trigger. Why this was done, I don't know, since I am sure the S&W patents have long expired; perhaps it was just so they could claim that their system is "different".

The cam doesn't "reduce friction" in any way. What it does is change the mechanical advantage to prevent "stacking", an increase in pull weight as the trigger moves back. As in the S&W, moving the cam lightens the pull as the hammer cocks and removes the hammer strut (S&W calls it the double action sear) from the picture. If this is not done, the trigger shelf and the hammer strut end up in parallel and the trigger pull becomes hard. Colt DA revolvers, and other Rugers have no second cam and do stack, though the Rugers are better in that respect than the Colts.

Jim

James K

Member In Memoriam
The link in Post #1 shows what looks like a separate part, but it is probably a permanent assembly. Regardless, the principle is exactly the same as S&W's and gives the same results. It doesn't reduce any friction.

Jim

dyl

Thanks for looking into it fellas I had just been pondering the lack of innovation in the revolver world. I suppose if Ruger really wanted to - or a third party - they could devise some drop in units for existing revolvers making use of this separate rotating piece - it would mean a new hammer and trigger.

I consider the Chiappa Rhino more experimental than a true innovation because of its complexity although strictly speaking it is still a relatively new concept and therefore an innovation