LCR and Windicator. Man, I miss my Windicator.

abowlieb

Man, I never thought I would say this but I miss my EAA Windicator. I sold and replaced it with a Ruger LCR 38sp +p.

The Ruger is an ok gun. Its really good at what it was intended for a very light compact revolver.

With my experience with the two firearms, I personally think the Windicator is better. Here is why. I had no problems using it as a CCW. Its heavier then the LCR but it didnt effect me at all. Those extra oz. Also helped when firing 357 loads. It had kick but imo a LCR firing 38sp +p seems more uncomfortable to shoot. The Windicator could easily blow thru 100-200 rounds eaxh visit to the range. I dont really look forward to firing the LCR anymore. Each trip has left me with a soreness in my palm. Nothing major, just something I notice over the next day or so.

I also cant seem to get any type of groups with the LCR. I could hit a paper plate size target with all six rounds at 25 yards with my Windicator. Im lucky to hit it once with the LCR. Even at 10-7 yards I cant get a steady group with it. I've tried to whip up some loads with different powders but still no luck.

The trigger is awesome on the LCR but other then that, I wish I would have kept my Windicator. It just fit me better I guess. But its my fault for falling for tge hype. Thinking I could get something better, when I already had a good thing. Lesson learned.

Dave Chuppa

I love my LCR357 but, shooting full house 357 is no fun. I save that for the 4" Ported Taurus and shoot 38 and 38+P from the LCR357.

bedbugbilly

I had a .357 LCR - it was a good shooting revolver for a light weight one but I ended up only shooting 38 spl. in it. I'm older and the harsher recoil of 357 does;t agree with my hands very well. I ended up trading it off and got a Smith Model 36 snub. It carries just as well - or even better than the LCR did - for me.

I'm not familiar with the Windicator - have never shot one. My question would be . . . after all the good things you said about it and the advantages . . why did you trade it off? Not rubbing salt into the wound . . . just curious. Too often, the "grass is always greener" as they say and we end up getting rid of something for something else that we think will be "better". Don't feel bad . . we all have done it . . . some of us several times! :roll eyes:

If you miss your Windicator and don't look forward to shooting the LCR . . . sounds like you should be looking for another Windicator? I learned a long time ago that regardless of what I "THOUGHT" was going to be the "answer" . . . if i got it, shot it and didn't like it, it was time to go. Otherwise . . . it will be placed back and not used in favor of something else.

Life is too short to have "regrets" . . . sometimes the old things are the best things! Good luck to you! :)

abowlieb

Well, I got the windicator because it was a cheap revolver. I never owned a revolver before and only shot one a handful of times. So I picked it up. As I started shooting it, it won me over and became my CCW. I liked it so much, I went n got a Ruger GP 100 and totally fell head over heel with that revolver. Then I started hearing how great the LCR was, so I was thinking, I like this GP100 so much and people are raving about the LCR, I figured, I would upgrade to a Ruger LCR. Its new and hip, How could I not like it! Smh I would take my cheap ugly Windicator any day of the week. This LCR just doesnt fit me. I dont want anyone to think I am bashing it because Im not. I really want to like it. But for me personally, I need it to fill a job and I need to trust it to do that job 100% but if we cant get on the same page, for whatever reason, I cant trust me and it to get the job done if needed. Its just not a warm fuzzy feeling if u question ur gun or ur ability with said firearm.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
All the good posts got me thinking,how am I doing with myLCR 38+/CT? Main duty HD hence the CT version. Second duty is night CCW.Practice with carry load,Hornady CD 110gr.standard velocity.Even then,I find theLCR to be a good CCW that is Very painful when used for other purposes. :d

g.willikers

I'm convinced that it's not necessary to practice with carry loads.
The need for doing so is based on the idea that when the excitement starts, the recoil difference will be detrimental.
But more than likely when the adrenalin is pumping, any differences between a milder .38 and a powerful .357 won't be noticed any more than the sound of the gunfire.
In other words, not at all.
The focus will be hard on the target and not on the gun, as it is at the range.
And the differences, if any, of the point of impact/point of aim at defensive distances shouldn't be a big deal, either.
So, if my supposition is as true as I imagine, there's no reason to punish ourselves with practicing with defensive ammo, or having to suffer the cost, either.

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

Instead of using lighter loads, one could think about using shooting gloves for practice. That will soften the "pain" and yet have the same POI as the SD loads.

One also needs to do all the dry fire, presentation and manipulation drills with the actual gun and limited SD load live fire.

If it's the gun you will carry the most, better make good friends with it!

dyl

abowlieb,

The hype with the LCR was really in comparison to other lightweight snubbies. Cost, trigger pull weight, recoil. My suspicion is it was competition to the J frame S&W with aluminum frames. In that regard the LCR's come with more cushioning, have lighter trigger pulls, and a light weight 357 mag that won't cost you $800 for a scandium snub nose.

In that regards I think they were successful. But in comparison to a GP100? Well, your hand has experienced that already.

I'm willing to bet that if you figure out the accuracy issue, you will indeed like the gun a bit better.

I think starting with 357 on a new light weight snubby has been distracting you from learning the gun and being able to focus on the front sight, and really feeling where the trigger pull breaks. Can't feel much at all when your hand is numb and shaky. I'd start with dry fire, then go to 38 specials for now - at least until you're consistently accurate with that load, then up to 357 if you want to. I mostly shoot 38's even out of my magnums.

I too had a 357 Windicator 4"MODEL and I liked it because it felt extremely heavy, but
I was all over the place. I sold it to a friend with my PT 25 semi and took that $$$ and bought a Ruger GP100 4.2 inch 357/38 which weighs 40 ozs unloaded. The Windicator (you never said the barrel length) weighs 30 ozs. in a 4".
Ruger's built better, has better sights, has better triggers and has better CS. It's no contest. Plus the DA is way far superior.
Now saying that, I never worried about carrying this because "IT ALWAYS WENT BANG". That old saying that you get what you paid for is in this case isn't that true.
Doc

abowlieb

I had the 2in barrel Windicator, Doc

dly you are right. If I could hit the side of a barn with it I would like it more. This is the first fearher weight snobbie I have ever shot. I keep telling and forcing myself to spend more tine with it. Maybe it will frow on me one day. I like rewlly do want to like the gun.

Maybe I wont fire as many rounds when I do shot it ( normally I like to run 100+ rounds per range visit through my fire arm picks for that day) and start shootong it at a closer range say 5 yards. I have read that a good max range for these little fellas is 10-15 yards.

Maybe a different grip would help, I have big hands and getting a grip on that little gun can be a hard task in it self. I'll get it figured out sooner or later

JERRYS.

I cannot speak of the windicator but I can of the lcr.

I bought an LCR .38 with the front night sight and more compact grip. it is a good gun but it does snap quite a bit with +p ammo.

while others can attest, a "j" frame sized sunny can produce decent groups at 25 yards, I bought mine to use as a belly gun so to speak. up close, fire as fast as you can, snag free draw, easy to pocket or tuck appendix style.

it seems you're comparing two different types of guns, each intended for different roles.

BTW, anyone know if you can have an LCR magna-ported?

Cheapshooter

Actually I changed the standard grips out on my LCR for the smaller "boot" grips. Also replaced the front sight with the XS night sight. Before shooting it after the changes I was unsure of the smaller grips. After 50 rounds of 158 gr. LSWCHP +P ammo, I was convinced it was a good upgrade. I was just as accurate, tight center mass groups at 10 yrds on a B27 target. Also I really didn't notice any difference in the recoil which to me was on the low end of moderate.
I looked at the Windicator in a 2" a few months ago. Just as a range toy with no intention of carrying a boat anchor on my waist. I was really impressed for the price, and still haveit on my list. It's purchase just got interrupted by a Charter Arms 44 Spcl. Bulldog DAO. Another great shooter. Over a half pound lighter than the Windicator, and really accurate throwing a big 44 caliber slug. The 7 1/2 ounces extra weight over my LCR is a little noticeable, but not too bad in a good hybrid IWB holster (Theis Holsters), and a couple ounces less than a Springfiels XD 40 Subcompact I carry in cold, Winter weather.

Cosmodragoon

To quote a younger friend of mine, the LCR is "awesome sauce" in .38 special. In .357 magnum, it's about as fun as any other alloy snub. :rolleyes:

I've never actually seen a Windicator but threads like these have generated interested. If I come across one at a gun show or LGS, I might just have to take it home.

Cheapshooter

I've never actually seen a Windicator but threads like these have generated interested. If I come across one at a gun show or LGS, I might just have to take it home.
Don't expect a finely machined, highly polished finish like a S&W, but don't expect to pay $800 either! I don't own one....yet....but was well enough impressed with tye ones I have seen to want one.
One note on the 2" version. The muzzle will look a little odd in thatthere is no crown, and the metal is bright, unfinished like it was just cut off...Because it was!
They are made in Germany, and import restrictions under the GCA'68 doesn't allow the importation of a 2" revolver. So they install a barrel shroud for a 2" on a 4" barreled revolver, then cut them off after they are here. That's what I have been tols anyway about the shiny, uncrowned muzzle on the 2" Windicators.
As for the finish on the rest of the gun, if you have seen an Armscor revolver, the Windicators are several notches up the scale towards S&W from the Armscor.

abowlieb

Yeah the windicator is no looker. U wont be pulling it oit showing it off at the range. The one I had just fit me, I loved the weight and I shot it really well.

mavracer

To me it's two different guns entirely, they serve a different purpose IMHO keep the LCR and look to replace the Windacator.

Cosmodragoon

As for the finish on the rest of the gun, if you have seen an Armscor revolver, the Windicators are several notches up the scale towards S&W from the Armscor.

Sometimes, there is value in having something inexpensive that you won't worry too much about dinging up. A brand new and relatively reliable gun in that price range is even better. The only thing that stopped me from picking up an M200 is that it isn't rated for +p ammo!

Cheapshooter

Yeah the windicator is no looker
Actualy I don't think they look all that bad. The blued finish is reasonably well dont, and free of machining marks.
I really don't mind the Armscor either, but the matte black finish, rough machining, and less than perfect wood to metal fit leaves it a couple marks below the Windicator. But I still want one of them too. Mostly just because of it's Colt like apperance.:D
But back on topic, Mavracer has it right.
To me it's two different guns entirely, they serve a different purpose IMHO keep the LCR and look to replace the Windacator.

dyl

Yes, I'd keep what you have and learn what you can from it before moving on.

This won't be the last time you run in to the issue of learning a lighter/smaller gun. It's going to always the new big thing in pistols, rifles, hunting gear etc.

abowlieb

Different guns yes, but what I was using it for as a small barrel easy to conceal carry weapon and for the range. I like the windicator more as a shooter. The LCR looks better, has a better trigger, is easier to conceal and carry but not as easy to shoot, for me anyway. So its kind of a deal breaker because I hold that above anything else. I just shot better with my windicator.