LCR/Airweight low recoil ammo?

Mosin44az

Hello all,

Just got a Ruger LCR last week and was disappointed that reports I read, about it being easier to shoot than an Airweight, were not true.

Both the LCR and my 642 kick hard enough that 50 rounds is about the limit for practice, for me anyway.

Was wondering what folks used as defense ammo in these, and in particular if anyone has found a mild-recoil load that will work for defense?

Thanks

fdreano

Buffalo Bore has several options in low-flash, low-recoil defensive rounds and that is what I carry. The LCR can be a handful and the proper grip is essential. You can see how Jerry Miculeck deal with it in the Revolver Grip video in this series: http://www.myoutdoortv.com/search/node/Jerry Miculek

His advice on small revolvers is about 3/4 of the way thru and it can make a huge difference in the amount of punishment you take with these lightweights.

CarbineCaleb

In .38+P, I think the best snubby rounds are the Hornady Critical Defense (not Critical Duty - that's for service revolvers), and the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel. These are both engineered to expand and penetrate reliably in the lower velocity .38+P from a snubby format gun. Denim/gelatin tests show they do that.

If you have the .38+P LCR, one thing you could also look at doing is trading up to the .357 version (and sticking with .38+P ammo). It's 17.1oz instead of 13.5oz, and that will help.

Last edited:

Whirlwind06

I cheat and put bigger grips on my airweights. I don't pocket carry, so a real grip that soaks up a lot of the recoil is my answer to the problem. Even then 50 rounds in a airweight is about my max.

You can also get some 148 grain wad cutters. I have read here that the was a fairly regular carry load with snubbies back in the day

Last edited:

Webleymkv

Hornady Standard Pressure 110gr Critical Defense and Federal 125gr NyClads are both popular for lightweight guns due to low recoil. In a +P loading, I've found 158gr LSWCHP "FBI Loads" from Federal and Remington to be more pleasant than lighter, faster +P's like Speer 135gr +P Short Barrel Gold Dot as the recoil of the FBI Loads are more of a slow push than the sharp snap of the lighter, faster loadings

Silent Bob

Me personally I wouldn't worry about being able to shoot more then 50 rounds at a time, I think I benefit more from lower volume but more frequent practice with my Airweight snubs. At 75 rounds my hand starts feeling like hamburger meat. I carry 158gr Remington FBI Load lead hollow-points in +P, I do not notice too much of a difference between standard pressure and +P in the Airweights (that is to say, they are all snappy). Hogue Bantams help a lot.

Many say 148gr Wadcutters to be about the lightest kicking .38 factory rounds available, but to me they feel about the same as 130gr FMJ.

jmortimer

I like the wadcutters. Buffalo Bore 150 grain hard cast or even standard 148 grain wadcutters. Low recoil, inherent accuracy, and fantastic straight-line penetration.

aarondhgraham

I agree with jmortimer,,,

I like the wadcutters. Buffalo Bore 150 grain hard cast or even standard 148 grain wadcutters. Low recoil, inherent accuracy, and fantastic straight-line penetration.

I agree with this,,,
Wadcutters are under-rated as SD rounds.

They make shooting my S&W Model 12 Airweight a pleasant affair.

Aarond

a7mmnut

Federal makes the Hydra Shock in Low Recoil loads for most calibers. It sure makes handling my little Keltec a lot easier.;) -7-

jmortimer

BTW - forgot to mention maximum meplat ("Nose") for destructive effect. Consider the Buffalo Bore 150 grain wadcutter will go two feet in Ballistic Gelatin out of a 1 7/8" baarrel J-Frame. Also this video link to Brass Fetcher shows the Federal non-hardcast standard wadcutter going straight through
12" of ballistic gelatin. Other .38 special round videos also on page, and their penetration generally concerns me. That Federal wadcutter at around 600 fps out of a J Frame snub nose is amazing.
http://brassfetcher.com/index_files/38Special.htm
They recommend using the most "Powerful" ammunition you can handle. I agree but with these untra-light guns I'll stick with the wadcutters.
And, one more time, a link to the 9-24-2010 Guns and Ammo Handguns article "Wicked Wadcutters" -
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/ammunition_hg_wickedwadcutters_200901/

Last edited:

Mosin44az

Thanks for all the useful info. I have seen the Buffalo Bore and Hornady at Cabela's and will look for the Federal loads also, there and at the shows. Will also check the links, thanks.

In response to questions, I got the .38 version of the LCR and bought and tried a number of loads from Cabela's, including the Hornady Critical Defense 110 and 158, Aguila 158 JHP, and Magtech and CCI target loads. The Hornady was a bit more tolerable.

I understand the advice to switch up to the .357 version--the Taurus UL revolvers are about the same weight, 17 oz., and it does make a difference--but I wanted to get the lightest possible for pocket carry, and just was hopeful that the polymer frame and wraparound Hogue grip would repeal the laws of physics. Guess not.

It's a close-range gun, and I should be able to practice enough to stay competent out to 5 yards, maybe 7 when I get the hang of it....

testuser

Agreed. I shot these two side by side last week to decided which one to keep. The LCR has more recoil than the Airweight and a long trigger reset that I just couldn't get used to. Kept the Smith and sold the LCR.

I'd try some of the standard pressure 110 grain loads and see how you like those.

Nanuk

You will start getting nerve fatigue fairly quickly with the light weight guns. Even with a 9mm for example, I does not take more than a couple of magazines to where it stops being valuable practice and becomes going through ammo.

JonathanZ

Shadi Khalil

You will start getting nerve fatigue fairly quickly with the light weight guns. Even with a 9mm for example, I does not take more than a couple of magazines to where it stops being valuable practice and becomes going through ammo.

That of course is based on personal opinion. I ran about 150 +P through my 637 this weekend and only stopped because I ran out of ammo.