LCR 3" 38SP did ruger make a mistake and not release it in 22lr?

9mm

Was disappointed when I saw this gun, a 38 spl in 3", why not 357mag? I would have rather seen it in 22lr to compete with the Taurus 94/990 models and S&W 617. Who WANTS a 38 in 3"?? they have the SP-101. What out cry was there for a 38 in 3"???? People want to shoot cheap, a 22lr would have done so. I would have bought one to go along with my lcr-22. 38 just costs way too much these days to be shooting it for fun. I would have rather liked it to be a 9mm or 22lr, and yes Ruger did make a LCR in 9mm recently :D

weblance

Im sure Ruger will offer the 3" LCR in 22 LR soon. It may take a year, or two, but they are smart enough to know what sells, and a 22 LR 3" LCR will sell very well. Why they chose to offer it in .38 Special is anyones guess. I have held the 3" LCRx and its a great revolver, but .38 Special doesnt interest me. 9mm and 22LR will get my attention though.

9x19

Too young to remember the S&W 36-6? :D

I like mine... have no real need for a .357 version. The light-weight, adjustable sights, and .38 chambering make for an ideal woods gun, IMO.

I would buy one in .22LR, but it would not replace the .38.

RugerLCRX3_zps38c72443.jpg

SW36-6HG.jpg

22-rimfire

I also suspect Ruger will come out with a 3" LCR. I hope it has the exposed hammer or at least that's one of the options.

ThomasT

I have one of the 36-6 mentioned by 9x19 and wouldn't want it in 357 mag. Its an excellent lightweight field gun that will do double duty as a concealed carry gun. As for yet another 22 I have a gun safe full of them.

And for cheap shooting 38s cost me almost nothing but my time to reload the cases. I stocked up years ago on powder, brass and primers. Plus a big stack of lead and several bullet moulds. I have had the stuff so long don't remember what I paid for it. lts fun to shoot something with a little more recoil than a 22 without the blast of a magnum round. One of the reasons I like shooting my 32 caliber revolvers.

Most of my 357s are shot 90 percent of the time with 38 loads. I am on the hunt for a model 14 that only shoots 38s.

Maybe in the future Ruger will check with you first before introducing a new gun. They sure don't check with me though.:rolleyes:

ThomasT

its a lot more complicated and expensive to do a combo gun with a double action than with a single action gun.

Cheapshooter

I also suspect Ruger will come out with a 3" LCR. I hope it has the exposed hammer or at least that's one of the options.
:confused::confused::confused:
Isn't that the point of the OP. They already have one! (see post #3)
But the OP, like many are waiting for a 22 rimfire version.
Others are wanting a 357 Magnum version.
Gotta think they are on the way.:D

22-rimfire

Cheapshootter, I believe the topic was 22's and there is NO LCR in 22 with a 3" barrel or exposed hammer as of yet......

9mm

I hace the LCR 22, if they made it in snub nose with the "X" or exposed hammer I would buy it and sell my LCR, so it would be easier to train with.

Cheapshooter

Cheapshootter, I believe the topic was 22's and there is NO LCR in 22 with a 3" barrel or exposed hammer as of yet......
Sorry, my misunderstanding of your post.:D
I also suspect Ruger will come out with a 3" LCR in 22 rimfire. I hope it has the exposed hammer or at least that's one of the options.
There, fixed it for you. It sounded like you thought they might come out with what they already have.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

I would have rather seen it in 22lr to compete with the Taurus 94/990 models and S&W 617
Possibly the Taurus 94, and the Charter Arms Pathfinder. Maybe somewhat with the larger "full size" Taurus 990.
But I doubt it would compete a great deal with a $800+ S&W for those who pick it over the Taurus.
For me, yes, the possibility of a 3" 22 rimfire LCRx has put the #1 on my short list Taurus 992 on hold.
Another rumor that seems to have quieted down lot is the Ruger GP100 22 rimfire. Now that would be direct competition for the S&W 617!

Cheapshooter

I thought the 22LR GP-100 was announced by Ruger. ???
Saw something about it a while back, but nothing recently. I thought they showed a prototype with a 6" barrel, but it was said that it will be released in a 5". I might need to dig a bit further.:D

weblance

ratshooter said:
its a lot more complicated and expensive to do a combo gun with a double action than with a single action gun.

Its more expensive because the cylinder has an ejector, but its certainly not complicated. I have a Pathfinder combo. Take out screw, swap cylinder, run screw back in. Done. 30 seconds