LCP Custom-At top of it's development?

Skeets

Member in memoriam
I have a gen1 LCP(post first recall),that has served well.But I'm thinking of "upgrading"to the LCP Custom.Like to hear from TFL members that have done this.Any 2nd thoughts? TIA

Kreyzhorse

I have a first generation and it's a fine gun. I've never fired a custom but always wondered it the upgrades really mattered.

The LCP in its basic format is pocket pistol that is a 7 yard or closer gun. It's a deterrent and a belly gun. It isn't a range gun or really even just a plinking gun. Improved sights still don't make the sight radius longer or make the gun more egrominic and easier to shoot. I don't find the standard trigger an issue on my LCP.

That said, I don't know that the Custom would be worth the extra cash or not, to me it wouldn't be simply because the gun is limited not matter how much your dress it up. That said, I'm sure some people love the Custom and look forward to reading their takes on it.

The LCP, even in its basic form, is a great little gun as I'm sure the Custom is. Hard to argue that either way I guess.

adamBomb

You could always sell your LCP and get the custom. Considering they are only around $250-300 for a custom you arent really going to be breaking the bank. But I would get your hands on one first to see if its worth it.

WVsig

Big sights on a pocket gun is just silly...

This! That is why I went with the standard with standard sights. Same trigger pull as the custom without the tall sights and the red trigger.

lee n. field

The LCP in its basic format is pocket pistol that is a 7 yard or closer gun. It's a deterrent and a belly gun. It isn't a range gun or really even just a plinking gun. Improved sights still don't make the sight radius longer or make the gun more egrominic and easier to shoot. I don't find the standard trigger an issue on my LCP.

I second this.

"It is what it is", which is a specialized firearm meant for deep concealment and close distance "get away from me you creep" defensive shooting.

michael t

I know I wouldn't trade my old KelTec 380 for a new one . I also see no reason for big sights on a little pistol. Ruger LCP looks a little better than my KT But its still a KelTec dressed up at heart. :D

Limnophile

Big sights on a pocket gun is just silly...

It makes sense that the bigger sights don't have much combat utility. They may enhance range sessions for some, but only in a way not likely to be representative of the likely use of the gun in self defense. But, do the bigger sights impair the gun's utility in its design role? For example, do they snag clothing when the gun is drawn? If not, the bigger sights are a slight additional cost for little practical benefit. If so, they are a liability.

tirod

The first gen LCP had a horrible trigger and poor sights. With the snappy recoil that deserved to be called "punishing" by reviewers it goes to how good could someone get trying to practice with it?

Short range belly guns get called on to shoot large aggressive dogs who don't need to be approached to 21 feet to get a hit. And not practicing with it doesn't help. Excusing the guns faults by stating they don't matter might be just fine for others, but not everyone. It's why other guns with better triggers, better sights, and comfortable recoil actually sell. An informed consumer with his priorities arranged to find a suitable firearm makes different choices.

Go shoot the newer LCP before you decide. At least try dry firing it against one or two others at the counter if you can ( my local LGS allowed it,) and then you actually know which has the better trigger, which is important.

Then research which is the better range gun, which means you shoot it and actually pick up good habits with it, not reactions to unpleasant use that will crop in a defensive situation. The last thing you need running thru your mind on pulling the trigger is how much the gun hurts you firing it. Seven yards or seven feet, shot placement is more important than "Who cares what the sights look like?" And you would probably like to actually SEE the sights for that seven yard shot. Again, shot placement is more important. You can pick a different pocket carry holster, and not all good sights are over sized target models.

If anything, those little red triggers and "big" sights in the LCP are a lot of window dressing to distract shooters from the snappy recoil. Lighter pull and shorter would be good, but it doesn't begin to address some of the other shortcomings.

The LCP is a nice product improved clone of the Keltec but the market is a moving target and the models are starting to show their age. There are other choices that might work better - go try the triggers, get some rounds down range with each and find out.

I sold the first gen LCP because of the horrible trigger and uncomfortable recoil. How it shoots directly impacts how much you practice with it and that goes to how good you are with it.

Limnophile

The LCP is a nice product improved clone of the Keltec but the market is a moving target and the models are starting to show their age. There are other choices that might work better ... .

Could you suggest some better choices?

WVsig

For the money $220 the LCP is the best gun in its class. Some people like the Sig P328 but at almost 3x the price I do not believe that it is 3X the gun.

You do not need to shoot a pocket gun thousands of times to be proficient with it.

adamBomb

At that price you are looking at the keltecs, taurus, SW, and ruger in 380. I couldnt even find the taurus or keltec in any gun shops around me and I live in a city with tons of shops. I have seen that little taurus for like $185 at a gun show. Any of them are probably fine. I went with the ruger because it was so cheap compared the SW at my local shops. Like over $100 cheaper. Even if these models are improved over the next fews just get another one then. It was only $200 to start with so you cant really lose imo.

Limnophile

For the money $220 the LCP is the best gun in its class. Some people like the Sig P328 but at almost 3x the price I do not believe that it is 3X the gun.

You do not need to shoot a pocket gun thousands of times to be proficient with it.

I think the SIG Sauer P238 is clearly a better gun, but must admit not so much better so as to justify the price increment. I also agree that a pocket pistol need not be sweet to shoot at the range, nor does it have to have good sights.

At that price you are looking at the keltecs, taurus, SW, and ruger in 380.

The Kel-Tec cannot be considered a better choice in my mind, and, as you point out, the S&W is typically much more expensive. The Taurus has the advantage of the slide locking back after the last round, and sometimes being less expensive, but I understand the Ruger is a better product and is serviced better.

I can't think of a pocket .380 that soundly beats the LCP given the price. If Ruger designed it so the slide locked back after the final shot, it might be close to perfect. Other than that, I can't think of why the LCP Gen2 or LCP Custom might be considered an aging design. If you want a softer shooting pocket pistol you need the gun to either be heavier, something many pocket carriers don't want, or you need to chamber the gun in a smaller caliber. Would an LCP in m32 Auto sell?