LC9s Cleaning Striker Instructions From Ruger

inkie

I was curious as to what Ruger had to say about cleaning the Striker on my LC9s, I E-Mailed Ruger and asked if they had written instructions plus illustrations on how to remove the striker for maintenance. This is their answer: Removing the striker is not recommended in cleaning the firearm, There are several oils on the market available for cleaning. We can't recommend a brand and that's all that's necessary for cleaning a gun. Follow directions in the manual for cleaning your Firearm.

I own 4 Rugers, 3 Smiths, Two Colts, one SCCY, and one Browning all of these companies except Ruger supplied the info that I requested. What do you think?

greyeyezz

That video is worthless. Make sure your striker is slid all the way toward the breech face and protruding(it's not in the photo). Insert something in that hole and push toward the breech face while sliding the cover plate off with your thumb.

Dan-O

My bad. Havent detail stripped mine yet, and watched the vid (muted on phone while at work) long enough to make sure he actually takes the slide apart.

mes228

Ruger

Ruger probably thinks there is a far greater likelihood of incorrect assembly than the striker failing.

As an aside, I've sold pistols that were absolutely reliable for me. Which became "jam o mattics" after the new owner did a detailed full strip and re-assemble. I think there is little need for anything greater than a "field strip" for cleaning. Unless something breaks I never do it. I have a friend that's a Marine that detail strips EVERYTHING. He also has an INORDINATE number of
pistols that fail. He's a great Guy, but I've been told nothing is Marine proof (grin).

Snyper

I think there is little need for anything greater than a "field strip" for cleaning.
Exactly.
Most guns can go decades without being totally disassembled just by using spray solvents and lubes.

inkie

Thanks Greyeyezz

Thanks for the informative picture, I bet many people following that video are busting their chops looking for that little hole and not holding the striker forward so they can get the cap off. I have been around Cape Horn a few times and try and get as much info as possible before I start tinkering. Except for some oily residue the channel was pretty clean. inkie.