LawDog's Auto Accident, Part 2

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Latest word is that LawDog is recovering well, though in pain.

Currently he is expected to be in the hospital another week or a little more.

Let's swamp him with cards. (None by Hallmark.)

tatters

No card. All we got is Hallmark locally.
Sent a short letter instead.
On the way Monday.
Thanks to the rest of the TFL gang for the updates and such. Steve

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"

Well, it looks like this is gonna be an extended vigil. Law Dog's mom provides this as the latest update:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Rich-
I can get there and read, but can't figure out how to answer. [snip]

He's in quite a bit of pain today. The surgeon thought we'd be able to tell whether or not the scalp was going to reattach by now, but it's still kind of up in the air. The dr. removed quite a bit of fluid from under sections of the 2 pieces that are sewn down, which was dreadfully painful, I think. I'm going to phone for his eyeglass prescription to be faxed from Amarillo tomorrow morning, and maybe his brother can go to one of those 1-hour glass places and get him some make-do specs. The dr. told him today that it would be at least 6 months before his eyes settled down enough for him to have an eye exam and new contacts or glasses, and maybe longer than that. I think it's going to be a long haul, but that's ok.

You should see that little pickup. It's a 1989 Ford Ranger-or was. I don't know how he got out alive. He hung, upside down and conscious for nearly an hour, with the ripped-loose scalp trapped between the roof and the ground. I'm really surprised the EMTs didn't just take the scissors and cut it off to get him loose. One of his high school friends was there and got the truck lifted off the scalp so they could get him loose.

He likes Tony Hillerman, Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, some westerns, some war stories, Robert Aspirin, and assorted other space chronicles. Chris took him some tapes and a player today, so we'll see how that works out. He was pretty heavily doped up this afternoon, but, as has been surprising all along, quite sane and sensible when he was awake.

I posted quite a long note on SOF. [snip] Ian is so pleased that everyone is thinking of him. He's had several phone calls from people he's never seen-cyberfriends-and he just glows to know that he's of value to them.

He'll probably be off work 6 months. Maybe longer, because he can't do security in a bar and take the risk of getting hit in the head. We'll just have to cross that bridge when we get to it-and hope, as I told someone else, that we don't hit black ice!
Anita [/quote]

I'll be setting up a TFL account for Anita. Hopefully, she'll be able to speak directly. Hang in there, Law Dog!

Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited January 30, 2000).]

LawMom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis:
Currently he is expected to be in the hospital another week or a little more.
Let's swamp him with cards. (None by Hallmark.)[/b][/quote]

I'm not sure this is the way to do this, but I'll give it a try. LawDog has had a bad day, although he's doing ok physically. The dr. had thought he'd be able to tell if the scalp was reattaching by today, but he couldn't. He also thought he'd be able to take out the drain today, but what it looks like is that tomorrow he'll take out the present drain, but put in a new one in a different location. As LawDog says, Damn and Blast!
I'll be going back to the hospital tomorrow-his brother is there tonight-and won't be here long enough to do much until Friday.
He REALLY appreciates the calls, cards, and other things that you all are sending, but most of all, he's so pleased by your good wishes.Latest word is that LawDog is recovering well, though in pain.

[Edited for formatting problems only]

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited January 30, 2000).]

Ottergal

LawMom...

Thanks for joining us here and keeping us posted. I can only imagine what you all are going through. You are a very strong lady, that comes thru loud and clear in the messages you have passed on. I will continue to keep Ian and all of you close in my heart and in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. As you can see, we are a big family here and we take care of our own. Our LawDog is one tough cookie...it is good to see he hasn't lost that fighting spirit. I'm sending a big cyber hug to all of you...please pass it on to Ian. :)

zip

Law mom thank you kindly for keeping us up todate all i can say is my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family right now and i hope things start geting better

zip/jacob mullis

------------------
oneshotonekill

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks LawMom, I'd like to know whether Ian likes the books on tape or not. If so, what are some of his other favorite authors/books. My other question is do you have a chain bookstore near the hospital or your home? I'm sure that some of us at TFL would like to send a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble or Borders or something to help get him through this ordeal.

You are in our prayers as well as Ian.

------------------
RKBA!

"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4
Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
LawMom,
TFL is a bunch of people who like to help out if we may...
Does LawDog have any requests? Anything he wants? Besides an Steyer Scout Rifle or a New Laptop? I got a book I think he would like... but I understand he is having a hard time reading right now. Hmmm - let me find the book on tape.
Just let him know he has the support of all the members of TFL.

Bulldog

Thanks for coming over LawMom. LawDog definitly has a great group of caring friends here at TFL, and we all wish the best for him.

P.S.: If the scalp has a hard time reattaching, tell the doctors to try some duct tape... Any Texan knows that that'll work everytime! :D

------------------
NRA, GOA, TSRA.
www.geocities.com/shootinbulldawg

American Greetings card en route. I will check the audio book selection at amazon.com today and send a couple to Ian.

------------------
Slowpoke Rodrigo...he pack a gon...

Danger Dave

Auuggh!

I'm out of touch for one weekend, and this is what happens??

I'll be card shopping on my lunch break!

In the meantime, thanks to Lawmom & Rich (and everyone else) for keeping us posted!!

- Dave

Caeca Invidia Es

Staff Alumnus
One get well soon card is on the way from me and tank girl. Wish you all luck in dealing with these sad times.

------------------
"Freedom has always existed in a very percurious balance. And when buildings stop blowing up, people’s priorities tend to change..." Enemy of the State

longhair

I've been a way for a while and have just seen this. LawDog get well soon!!!! Y'all are in my prayers.... longhair