Lathe turned bullets

ADIDAS69

Looking for those who wish to opine re the G9 brand of lathe turned bullets specifically. Thoughts and personal experience re any lathe turned projectile also welcome.

MarkCO

I have shot 3 different 6mm lathe turned bullets, but not the G9. They are pricey for sure, and while I would love to shoot them, I have a hard time justifying $1 and up for them when I get good performance for $.23 to $.30 per bullet.

A lighter bullet going faster with a higher BC sure seems like a great idea. Barrel life would likely be reduced (assumption on my part). Performance on game, IMHO is not as good as bonded bullets out at long range. When shooting steel, impacts at long range are harder to see as well.

Do they have merit? In some calibers and circumstances, I think so. For instance, you can get to 6.5 performance levels with a .308 and you can surpass 6mm performance levels with a 6.5. So if a guy hunts with a .308, he can use normal bullets to say 400 yards and then switch to a lathe turned bullet and get another 100 to 150 yards. Or, shooting matches, shoot the .308 out to 600 yards and use the lathe turned bullets for those <20% of the shots past 600. Expand the capability, stick with .308 and have good barrel life. Those are my thoughts.

Dufus

I haven't shot any G9, but have shot a lot of Cutting Edge bullets. They have proven very accurate, I can get a little more velocity with them, and they work as advertised on deer sized game. I have no complaints.

T. O'Heir

A buck each is probably cheap. It'd be really time con$uming to turn copper unless you made a tool to do it on a screw machine. Still be making 'em one at a time. Lotta math involved too.
There was an article in one of the gun rags, years ago, about one of the writers playing with turned, oil impregnated, bronze bullets. The oil would smoulder due to the heat and left a spiral smoke trail.
"...get another 100 to 150 yards..." You wouldn't. Long range bullets are heavier, thusly more dense, not lighter and less dense.

MarkCO

"...get another 100 to 150 yards..."
Lighter, higher BC, faster. Same group size 100 to 150 yards further...yep, that is what I got and what the other guys got shooting them in testing, some a little more.

ADIDAS69

MarkCO, thank you. The G9 are a bit cheaper than the Cutting Edge brand so I thought I'd start there if I'm to run down this rabbit hole. Dufus, thank you also. The only review on MidwayUSA for Cutting Edge, is uncomplimentary.

briandg

and you chose to ignore the review on midway? Good for you.

It's a simple fact that if you want to get reviews out of the american consumer, piss him off. Everybody on the planet will hear about it.

When I look at reviews for a product, I find that sometimes almost all of them aren't trustworthy. Between fans and haters, idiots, or people who just don't have a clue, the people who review and rate products shouldn't be.

A while back I read a review about a knife. "this knife works fine for chopping firewood." Years ago I read a review for a .177 pellet rifle that described it as "a perfect gun for turkey hunting."

Dufus

Since the item was brought about MidwayUSA, I will add that I purchase the Cutting Edge bullets from Cutting Edge. I found they were less expensive than other retailers.

They have quite a good testimonial section if you dig around to find it. Also note that some of their bullets are not hunting bullets with others being single feed as they are too long for magazine feed.

They do have quite a following with the long range crowd.

briandg

A precision turned copper bullet? it's no surprise that the long range shooters like them. Absolutely top BC, homogeneous and flawless structure. They should be literally perfect from one bullet to the next. Question is are they going to be compatible with the particular barrel and load.

I don't know what measures they take for QC, I'm figuring that they run them in pretty small lots, resetting the lot number every time they change the tooling at least.

It would be interesting to see that site, watch them work.

I think ground bullets are easier to make (if you have the machinery). L Wulstein used to grind 50 cal bullets for his match rifle and one year took the CA state championship. Then he got cheap and when his barrel was worn, didn't replace it.

oldscot3

Apparently Nosler lathe turned some bullets years and years ago. I have a stash of old 6.5 mm 125 grain partitions that are lathe turned and they shoot pretty well out of my 6.5 Creedmoor.