Last of the Orphaned Uppers are Orphaned No More

rickyrick

Well, I had a few lowers that I would swap uppers around on for many years.

Got away from tinkering with ARs for a bit, but in 2023 I had regained interest in messing around with them.

These two are a 24” fluted bull barrel and a reworked 6.8spc upper that was previously not functional with a Green Mountain 16” barrel.
I’ve recently posted about the 6.8 upper, but for weirdness I went with a 10.5” ARP barrel with a 6” flash hider that I pinned and welded.

The 6.8 got a AeroPrecision LPK, 2-Stage Nickel-Boron Trigger sold by AeroPrecision, which turned out to be decent. It received an H-3 buffer and I decided that the standard carbine stock would be sufficient. I felt a more expensive stock just wouldn’t be worth any improvement.

The .223 Wylde upper got a CMMG LPK. I was disappointed in the trigger as the stock CMMG triggers are usually better than most “enhanced milspec” triggers that I have tried.
The CMMG trigger got ditched an replaced by a Larue MBT, which I like. The MBT isn’t a Geiselle, but still nice all the same. The wide bow is a bit odd.
I had an A2 stock laying around from a different project, so I opted to use that instead of purchasing another stock. I did have to purchase the buffer and tube.

Went out and did reliability testing today, they both function flawlessly. I didn’t test for accuracy yet, it’s hard to find a spot with more than 50ft of visibility in my forest.

These are the most ridiculous of my uppers, that’s why they were the last to get their very own lowers.
198e941a3015d8804a838e643ca078ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smee78

I have said I will just swap lowers a few times but always end up building a dedicated lower for the upper I built. I also built a 223 Wylde long barrel (24 inches) for fun shooting, I haven't built up a load for it but found it likes the 62grn PMC ammo.

ballardw

One of the things with AR's and modifications is when you keep all the replaced parts and then look at the pile and say "if I add an X and Y I can build a new ..."

rickyrick

Well about the only parts that I have left are a couple buffers, a couple of buffer springs one handguard, a 6.8 BCG, a 6.8 barrel that constantly short strokes (might need drilling) and a ton of FCGs. Swapping uppers on lowers seemed like a good idea, but had became inconvenient. You can see some wear on the bull barrel’s handguard from bouncing around loose.