last of the blue/wood duty pistols?

Metric

These days, a newly made pistol with an old-school blued finish and wood grips is pretty uncommon, and normally finished that way as an artistic choice.

And it would definitely be rare to find one as a government issued weapon, now.

But there was a time when that was essentially all that was available (I guess there have "always" been plastic grips of some kind, and parkerizing has been around for a long time as a durable, low-cost option as well).

So, what were some of the *very last* blue/wood pistols to ever be issued, and how late was it? Does anyone know of one that is still being issued? Do perps have to pay extra to be shot by these?

My surplus Beretta 81 inspired the question -- it must surely be among the latest (along with some early 92's before they went to "bruniton" finish in the mid 1980's).

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

The CZ-75B might be a candidate for your query.

If one can believe the internet source,,,
At one time it was the most widely used pistol in European military.

cz-75b-sa-9mm-review-750x375.jpg

Mine came new (8 years ago) with plastic grips,,,
I've seen plenty older ones with wooden grips.

Aarond

wild cat mccane

I recall HK has sold more to agencies under contract than any other at one point with Sig S and Glock.

That doesnt include US with Beretta.

So...i really doubt the CZ claim that is said a lot. 75 came out in 1975 making it very close to standard poly hk and glock.

Bet 92 or P226 in volume is the answer

Metric

This Beretta 81 was made in 1987, btw. But I don't know how long it was actually in service, vs. how long it spent in the giant Indiana Jones warehouse.

ber3.jpg

Siggy-06

There's so many newer/cheaper finishes that have really cut down on the classic blued finishes: Tennifer, melonite, parkerized, burniton/inox, cerakote, nickel/np3, polycoat, straight-up stainless.

There are still police/sheriff agencies here in the US that'll let officer's purchase their own weapons(pending approval). Some still like revolvers, some 1911's. Good chance those will be blued. I recently picked up a Springfield Garrison which came with a nice bluing job and wood grips, current production.

dogtown tom

aarondhgraham The CZ-75B might be a candidate for your query.

If one can believe the internet source,,,
At one time it was the most widely used pistol in European military.
Never.
It was a Commie gun. Not easily available until after the wall fell in 1989.