Laser Sights and Snakes.

kraigwy

I'm sure I'll get laughed at for this post, but here goes.

I heard that pointing a laser at a snake kind of hypnotizes the snake. Not sure I believe it or not but now I'm having second thoughts.

This has been an exceptional year for rattlers in this part of the country. Wife shot a couple in the yard with her judge and while antelope hunting this year I've shoot three with my 642.

On all three, thinking I would do better using the Crimson trace sights, I put the red dot on the back of the rattler's head, and they seem to hold still while I shot them.

Maybe its just may imagination but it seem to work, using the iron sights in the past they seem to dodge around and are hard to hit.

Am I nuts or has anyone else heard or tried this?

I know some people will chime in about snake shot. I've tried that and snake shot out of a 38 snub nose never seemed to work for me.

Dave P

I have seen only 2 big diamondbacks up here in last 5 years. About 2 months ago. Shot them both with pistols, no laser.

I think I have these snakes now, because there is a lot of pine logging/ clear cutting going on in North Florida, so they come over to my neighborhood for more woods.

Body%201_zpsaba2lyhi.jpg

T. O'Heir

It's laughing with you, not at you. Only possibility is the heat from the laser on Kaa's vomeronasal or Jacobson’s organ might get detected. Or it might blind Kaa. Hypnotized, no.
Snake shot out of a 38's rifled barrel flies in a spiral. Sends the shot all over with big holes in the pattern.
Don't shoot snakes myself. As much as I dislike 'em. Snakes eat rats and other disease carrying vermin. Mind you, it's easier when you live where there are no poisonous snakes except extremely rare and endangered Massassauga rattlers.

dyl

Haven't heard that claim before. I HAVE heard that snakes will want to align with the bore of a long gun if it's close enough, so bringing your 22 close to it is supposedly all you need. Wouldn't bet my life on it though.

Big Shrek

Made me chuckle a little...
I'll always remember the night my wife Screamed just outside the front door, then came running inside...
"Go get one of your guns and shoot that damned snake!" :)

She had never shown anger towards anything other than two-legged predators to that point...
so I got to test out what has become one of my favorite pistols ever since that night...
a Hi-Standard model B, the perfect little pest neutralizer ;)

A shot to the head while it was on the move stopped it, shovel finished it and placed it where it would do the most good...
fertilizer ;)