Laser sight alignment

Jeryray

Hope you guys understand my question.

I am using a Delta point pro on my sig 226. It's very accurate. I have spent some time getting it correct for me.

I have a laser sight tool. This tool fits in the barrel of an unloaded gun and projects a laser beam that should line up with my red dot.

It seems sometimes when I check it it is very close, other times it a few inches off.

I always make sure it's snug in the barrel.

Anyone else find this?

It seems sometimes when I check it it is very close, other times it a few inches off.
I always make sure it's snug in the barrel.

By "other times" do you mean when you shoot at the same target at the same range, or does "other days when you shoot at differing distances?

If the latter, there is a simple explanation.....

Your bore mounted laser tool and the Delta Point Pro are separated by at least an inch vertically, correct?
IF at 8 yards or whatever the two are adjusted to coincide (laser dot and Delta Pro at the same Point of Aim) then when you shoot at 10, 12 or 20 yards. This is because the two beams of light form an intersecting point at the target. Adjust the target either forward or back and the two points of light get wider/closer together.

Because you are adjusting two beams of light to converge on the target at the same place at a certain range, they will only ever converge at the same range.

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Off to the left/right, or off up/down?

If it's sometimes off to the left/right but other times is right on then something is loose somewhere.

But if it's just off up/down and right on at other times, that might be normal.

It's unavoidable for there to be some parallax between the bore and the sight because the sight is above the bore. The laser in the bore is only going to be lined up with the aiming reticle on the red dot sight at one specific distance.

So if you stand in front of a wall with the laser dot on the wall, if you're very close, the laser dot will be below the aiming reticle on the sight. As you move back away from the wall, the laser dot will appear to rise and at some point will match up with the aiming reticle. Then it will continue to rise and will be above the aiming reticle as you continue to move back away from the wall.

DMK

I have a laser sight tool. This tool fits in the barrel of an unloaded gun and projects a laser beam that should line up with my red dot.

Yes. I've found this with my laser sighting tools.They are not always centered. Manufacturing tolerance I guess.

I found that if I fix a rifle on my workbench, and rotate the laser in 1/4 turn increments, it will draw a circle at the target 50 feet away. When I use one to adjust sights, I try to find the middle point and sight there for windage. You'll need to adjust elevation with live fire anyway since these don't account for bullet drop but they get you close.

(I assume we are talking about sighting tools here and not laser sights)

Onward Allusion

Laser bore sighters get you on paper. To check for alignment, try rotating the bore sighter when it's in the chamber. The dot should be hitting the same spot every time.

Snyper

There's no point in using a laser to "check" the optic's setting unless you're going to remove and then reinstall or replace it.

In that scenario you adjust the laser to match the current sight setting.

Then you leave it in the gun while carefully removing the optics so nothing moves.

Then when you install the new sight or replace the original, you can adjust it to the identical position it was in before.

Laser bore sighters are generally a waste of money unless you mount lots of optical sights on lots of different firearms.

mrdaputer

I agree with Snyper. Once you sight the red dot in from a bench or free hand if you prefer. There is no need to use a bore sight. When I set up my red dot I shot 3 shots and adjusted the Red dot accordingly. repeated that process until it was zeroed in.

Jeryray

Basically at this point I am using it asa reference. I had great difficulty getting right on. Seems when the Delta point has the R clockwise, that was reversed?