Largest size shot for Jackrabbits???

PoorRichRichard

Hi all. Just got into duck/goose hunting at the tail end of this past season. I have a few boxes of steel 3" shot size 2 and 1 left over (duck season just ended here in California the weekend before last). Running them through an old standard 12 gauge Mossburg 500 with a modified choke. Can I use them for Jackrabbits, or am I better saving them for next season. I do plan on eating the Jacks, so I don't want to ruin the meat. I've been told lead shot size 4 and 5 is good for jacks.

FrankenMauser

If you can get close enough for a shotgun to be useful, the #1 and #2 steel shot should be fine. I would probably save my money, though, and use lead.

It's very rare that I can get close enough for a shotgun kill on a Jack, anyway. We are in different parts of the country, though.

With plans to eat them, my preference would be somewhere between .22 LR and .22 WMR (including .223 Rem with FMJs), for rifles; and .22 LR to 9mm Luger, for handguns.

PoorRichRichard

Frank. Thanks for the info. My hunting spot is the baseline of very rocky hills (about 50-200 foot tall hills) which give way to very open desert with shrubs. They tend to flush out of hiding from the baseline area running right across my path at about 15-30 yards heading into the desert- I generally have at about a 2 second window to pop 'em with a shotgun. As you stated, not at all easy hunting. Unfortunately the area is only shotgun legal for hunting:mad:

Daryl

Should work fine, but I'd probably use lead for cost effectiveness.

Jacks aren't all that hard to kill. I've killed a lot of them with #6 or #7 1/2 lead while quail hunting here in Arizona, and even more with a .22 pistol or .38 revolver.

AllenJ

+1 for FrankenMauser's response, save the steel and use lead. We have a 5 day spring goose season starting the 18th, you can use the steel then:D

Scorch

I do plan on eating the Jacks, so I don't want to ruin the meat.
Too late, they come that way from the factory.;)

Times must be tough in the land of fruits and nuts. I grew up in Santa Maria, and we had some lean times. My dad tried going out in the spring and getting the young ones, my mom said don't do it again. They are not that good, I wouldn't waste the high dollar ammo on them, just shoot them with a 22.

I second the motion for...

high brass #6 lead. Used it in my 20 ga, quite effectively, mod choke.

We shot them out of the bed of a pickup, after scaring them up while driving slowly, then accelerating to about 40 mph to keep up with them.

When you hit one running at 40 mph, he tumbles like a rag doll.

Never ate one - too skinny and stringy.:mad:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Dunno about flavor, but the few people I've known who tried their luck offered comments like, "Tough!" and "Stringy!"

Grind it up for rabbit-burger? Rabbit chili? :)

cornbush

I also like the cheek meat from big lake trout, and roasted cow head tacos....so my opinion may be a little different than yours...........