Larger Caliber Plinker

rcksil

I was wondering... What would be a good larger caliber plinker for the cost. I have not started reloading yet and noticed the 45 cal reloads sell for 10 bucks per box, the 9mm sells for 7. Is a 9mm a good caliber for all around practice shooting at the range. I could get the 9mm pistol for no charge usage at the range and I own a 45. I could use other calibers for no charge also. I also own a 22 but my son uses that. What do you think?

SGHOTH

For cost efficiency a 9mm in auto is hard to beat. If you have access to wheel guns the 38 special can be found quite cheap.

If you want to wake up everyone try a 44 mag. :D

Majic

Since you own the .45 why not plink with that? You can always borrow the 9mm to use once in a while.

chris in va

It really depends on what you mean by 'plink'.

If you just punch holes in paper, by all means get a 9mm. At $12/box it's the best deal running on centerfire ammo. Controllable recoil and accurate.

Now if you actually shoot interesting stuff like pins, TV sets, steel cans, empty propane tanks etc the .45 makes for a lot better time. For example, my 9mm FMJ will go right through most crap at the range, barely moving whatever it hits. Now the .45 on the other hand makes the sucker JUMP and DANCE...much more entertaining. It's one of those calibers that makes your buddy say, "Hey man, watch this!".

Skip a .40...too damn snappy. I don't like mine. It may get sold soon. :(

My favorite piece right now is the CZ 75BD 9mm with the extra Kadet .22 kit. Set up some cans, spinner targets and clays and you have HOURS of fun. Shot a whole 550 count box today and was disappointed I didn't have more.

Larry C.

Definitely 9mm. Consider Baretta

rcksil,

I was in your shoes several months ago when I noticed the ridicuously LOW price of 9mm practice ammo: $3.86 a box (50 rds.) of CCI Blazer! Prior, i had been a dedicated "Revolver" man, but for THOSE prices, I was determined to use the cussed and DIScussed 9mm :)
So what gun to buy? After a month of reasearch, I settled on the Beretta 92FS. After 1500 rounds, it hasn't had a single FTF or FTE. It's accurate for the ranges I use (15 yds.) and has little felt recoil. This gun and cartridge is FUN for target practice and in modern JHP +P loads, good for self-defense, too. What more could one ask of such an inexpensive round?
I've spent many mornings knocking down steel plates here in NW Louisiana , improving my accuracy and confidence with my 92. Good luck!

Larry C.

k_dawg

In local outlets, you can usually get 100rounds of 9mm for 10-11/box. 100rounds of .45acp for 20-22/box. The Walmart "winchester white box" and Remington UMC value packsare probably the most common.

You can mail-order ammo for even cheaper.

While everyone has their personal favorate.. usually inexpensive but decent choices: American Independance, CCI Blazer, S&B, UMC, Winchester, etc.

rcksil

I sort of figured this.

With the price of 9mm ammo so inexpensive, heck even good ammo is at reduced prices. I was leaning to the 9mm. But here in Sunny California I have to wait 30 days in-between purchasing a hand gun. I picked up a 22A for my son. Like I said earlier I could use one at the range but it is not like knowing your own weapon(yes I said knowing). You know where they shoot at a specific distance. I might look into the Beretta. Of course, the cost does matter but the longevity and quality means more. I will look into many designs because my son of 18 all of a sudden likes shooting. :D

mark8252

9mm

For plinking the 9mm is beat only by the 22lr.
The 45 can get expensive even if you reload.
I have them all several times over.

cje1980

You can typically buy 100rd value packs of 9mm at most sporting goods stores or even Wal-Mart for about $11 dollars. You can't beat that and that is why many people swear by the 9mm. They practice enough to actually hit what they aim at. I personally like a 357Mag revolver so that I can use 38spl for practice and overall plinking use and shoot full house 357Mag to wake everyone at the range up or for a woods gun. For all-around versatility and value its hard to beat a 357Mag revolver. For a semi-auto I really like a 9mm for value and a 45ACP for making big holes in stuff.