Large ring/small ring Mausers

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
What's the difference between the large ring and small ring Mauser and how do you tell?

What calibers can each of these handle?

------------------
Byron Quick

Doctari

Spart,

Large rings are the K98 type mausers.
Small rings are the 93/95/96 and equivalent types.

I do not have the exact dimensions on hand but the way to tell is measure the width of the front ring and the distance between the screws on the bottom of the reciever. Large rings are slightly wider and longer. If I can find the numbers later I'll post them.

Small rings I would guess shouldn't be loaded above the pressure levels of the original military cartridges they were designed for, i.e. 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57 etc.

Several gunsmiths have told me that the large ring can handle anything you want to build on it.

Doctari

Herodotus

The differences are samll from our human point of view. It is always difficult to tell whether a Mauser action is large ring or small ring or even a coveted magnum action just on gross visual inspection, say if a single action were just sitting on a table and you could not inspect it very closely.
Originally, the pre M1898 Masuers (89, 91, 92, 94, 95, 96) were designed for cartridges of about 40,000 psi pressure and the recievers had a front diameter of about 1.3".
When the 98 Mauser was designed, it was realized that pressures up to 50,000 psi and greater could be safely achieved. The receiver diameter was then increased to 1.41", an increase of .11" over the previous standard of 1.3".
Now, to our human eyes this is not much, but it actually does increase the strength of the reciever by a considerable amount. The 98 Mauser reciever is said to be stronger and more robust and this is true in most cases.
Despite the new standard, a good number of 98 Mausers were in fact produced in the old small ring size. This was beause the the old calibers were still popular and because people felt that the old size was good enough and lighter to boot.
The same problem occures when trying to spot magnum actions. The difference between a magnum and a standard Mauser bolt is less than 1/2", 6.4" vs 6.77" (.37"). The whole reciever is longer by about as much. This extra length allows the magnum to handle cartridges of the 375 H&H length. Some magnum action are obvious becasue they have "Square Bridges" and extra big magaxines, but many do not. I dream of finding a magnum action that has been misidentified as a standard action with a corresponding lowered price! Hasn't happened yet.
The answer to your question is multiple:
1. Most people do not know the difference and do not care to learn such esoteric rifle lore. It is of concern , mostly, to people who are rebuilding old Masuers in some way.
2. Of the people who do know something about this, the majority just know that such and such a model of Masuer is large or small ring becasue all of that model are that way.
3. The only other way to know for sure is to get a book like Jerry Kuhnhausen's "The Mauser Bolt Action" (which I used here) to look up these dimensional differences and measure the action in question at the critical points.

Clark

Turkish Mausers have large ring recievers that have small ring barrel threads. That means these 98s will not take a 98 barrel, but will take a Swedish 96 barrel.

Ruben Nasser

Costa Rican M98 also have large ring receivers with small ring barrel threads, among other anomalies. There are many variations of the classic "M98 action".

radom

I may be out to lunch here but I seem to remember that the 98s cock on the down stroke like any other modern rifle vs the pre 98s cocking on the up stroke. But then the only pre 98 mausers I mess with are the old 11mm guns. :) :)

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, guys,

Everyone is assuming that "small ring" means pre-'98 and "large ring" means '98. That is not really true. There are '98 actions that have the small 1.30" ring, notably the Czech Model 33 and the German version, the G33/40. I think one Mexican rifle used a small ring also, even though it was other wise a 98 action. It is these '98 actions that most people mean when they say "small ring", rather than the older rifles which are usually described as Model 1893, Model 1895, etc.

Action strength is not based only on the size of the receiver ring, since there are very few failures in that area. Most concern is for steel quality in general and in the absence of a gas shield on the older actions. Even the much touted safety lug is a feature that is overkill. If both massive front lugs fail, something is very badly wrong and the additional lug will not usually help much.

Jim