Large objective AR scope

Jeffenwulf

Hey ladies and gents. I picked up a Charles Daly Defense 24" varmint AR about a month ago and now I need to find a scope to go with it. I'll be completely honest here, I want something big and completely garish. She'll only be brought out at the range and probably won't ever see a target past 200 yards. Since I'll be a bench commando those days, weight isn't an issue.

I don't want to spend a bazillion dollars on the coolest scope with anti-fog coating made from nano-diamonds and the sweat of woodland fairies. I just need a serviceable scope for the AR. I just saw a Millett scope with a ginormous 56mm objective lens at Academy. It's pretty garish by itself, but with the 4" visor it's positively appalling. I love it! For $200 it seems like it would do just fine.

The rifle came with risers and no iron sights, so I haven't had a chance to test her out yet and I'm starting to get antsy. If you have any suggestions on an alternative to the Millett or good/bad things to say about it, I'd love to hear from you. If, however, you have a scope that costs as much as my car with crystal lenses ground flat with dust from Pluto that self adjusts for range out to 36 miles, please start your own thread. We're all jealous of it, no need to rub it in.

PDBreske

No suggestions, but I wanted to say thanks for the chuckles. This is the first honest post on scopes I've read in a long time.

EDIT: Maybe you can buy this monstrosity I saw at the gun show: It had an optical scope, a holographic scope, a laser, and a light all attached to the same quick-detach rail mount. It kinda looked like the roof of the Ghostbusters-mobile.

sholling

You can save a bit of money and get as good or better a scope with the Simmons 6.5-20x50 Whitetail Classic. These are actually a good $230 scope for $100-130 when you catch a sale.

Mildot
Plex

IMG_0032a.jpg

PDBreske

Don't you know that he isn't interested in a "good scope?" What he wants is something that "looks" like it could see the flag planted on the moon's surface. Functions matters not - what counts is the ability to wow his buddies at the range. :)

TheManHimself

Whatever you get, make sure you get a massive sunshade to go with it. Nothing like the looks of a scope with a tube as long as the scope body hanging off the end of it :D

PDBreske

Whatever you get, make sure you get a massive sunshade to go with it. Nothing like the looks of a scope with a tube as long as the scope body hanging off the end of it

In fact, I'd say find a metal shop that can fabricate a sunshade that extends to the end of the barrel. Maybe even a few inches past it ... just to be sure. And add an additional bell cone that makes it look like it has a 75mm objective lens. Hehe.

TheManHimself

Well, having the sunshade hang over the end of the barrel would be garish as hell, but muzzle blast might beat on the end of it and damage the scope. I'm assuming that if the goal is to grab attention at the range, having the scope come apart while shooting is going to attract the wrong kind of attention. :D

PDBreske

Ah, but not if he also has an attachment that connects the scope bell to the muzzle. How 'bout an integral sunshade/muzzle break? I'm just tossing out ideas here.

bcarver

walmart

Walmart has a 65 buck 6-20X 56mm with bases,flip up covers and a neoprene cover; illuminatted reticle in two colors(green/red)and ten brightness levels with mil dots.
I can't think if the name but you could cut a shade out of some drain pipe.
A little gorilla glue, some wine corks for spacers, couple cable ties a little duct tape and some black paint....

I'm going to get one today. I'll update.

Alleykat

I use a Simmons Whitetail Classic, the "normal" price of which is around $100. Midway advertises their "normal" price as around $249, but I think that's just more of Midway's deceptive advertising. They've NEVER sold one of those scopes for $249. It is a pretty decent scope, though.

Many scopes offer stackable sun shades, if the OP really wants to get garrish, he could stack about three on his scope.

globemaster3

Just a word of advice after mounting a seemingly normal 40mm objective on a DPMS LR308. Ring height. I had to go with extra high rings to fit that bell as the high ones caused the front bell to contact the front edge of the picatinny rail. With a 56mm, you might need more.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Jeffenwulf

Thanks for the ideas! I just saw a positively horrible photo of an AR with 50mm on top at
http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ar15eraticator.jpg

It's almost the same gun. I'd want it to lie just over the barrel shroud, but that's the general idea. I'm not worried about clearing houses with it and I'm not a sniper. I won't be hunting mountain goats in the Alps or taking pot shots at antelope six miles away. I just want a match AR with a giant frickin' scope (and visor). I don't clamp the rifle down in 13 places and I'm lucky if I can remember to bring out a couple 4x4s for a rest.

Stevie-Ray

I bought a Leapers 4-16X50 as a "great experiment" for my FAL. The experiment being that if it's as capable as I think it is at 100 yds, I'm going to get a proper Nikon for it. So far I haven't shot it at 100 due to the range's policy of "sighting in" at minimal ranges before trying out the next, and right now, it's just too cold. It's lovely at 50 and believe it or not, I'm impressed with the Leapers, especially for 119 bucks. If it stays this good, I'll probably just leave it on til it breaks. It's a mil-dot with red or green illuminated reticle and has a 3 inch sun-shade, for the ultra-garish in you, and flip-up lens covers.

Jeffenwulf

That sounds great! I'm not having good luck locally. The Millett is the last one they have (and they can't find the box). The Bushnells there have crosshairs that I hate. I'm not spending $900 for a Nikon with a laser rangefinder ... it looks like I'll be ordering this one online. The Leapers looks like a possibility as does the Meuller Eraticator.

Last edited:

MeekAndMild

I don't want to spend a bazillion dollars on the coolest scope with anti-fog coating made from nano-diamonds and the sweat of woodland fairies.

Maybe for $20 more get the Millet with an optional flush toilet and ooga horn? :D