Large magnum in place of just large

fairview mick

I've loaded magnum rifle shells for years, but just started loading a 30-06. I have 5,000 large rifle MAGNUM Fed primers. Can those be used in place of regular large primers that are called for in the '06?
Thanks
Mickey

dunerjeff

I've loaded some up for the same reason.I used to have a magnum rifle and sold it so I am using up the mag primers in "standard" loads.In rifle it generally isn't necessary but I usually back the load off by .3 to .5gr to make up for the little extra umphh from the mag primer.The one thing that can happen is the primer moving the bullet before the powder mass ignites. I like to lightly crimp the bullet so this doesn't happen,but I don't have any proof that it is needed or required.

black mamba

Ball powder loads in standard cases sometimes call for magnum primers, as they are a little harder to ingnite. AA2520, BL-C(2) and WW760 are all good ball powders for the 30-06.

Nevmavrick

The powder you use is more the reason for choosing a mag primer than the case you're using.
Over the chronograph, I've found that in the smaller (standard as opposed to Magnum) cartridges there is little difference between the two primers, YMMV.
If you do much shooting in the cold, you MAY want to choose the Mags, anyway.
The usual advise to start lower and work up, is good.
The hottest Mag primers out there are Federal 215s, so I would drop back .5-1.0gr from the recomended load...not the max!
IMO, AA2520 and BLC2 have no need whatsover for a Mag primer in the '06, tho' WW760 may use them.
I would think of trying one of the 4831s, or maybe 7828. I don't know what powders you have, or can get locally. I also don't know what bullet you intend to use, either.
The '06 can be interesting to play with.
Have fun,
Gene

hk33ka1

A while ago I asked for four bricks of Winchester Large Rifle, the clerk handed me Large Rifle Magnum and I didn't noticed till I got home 2.5 hours later. I've been shooting them just fine since, in smokeless and BP rifle loads.

As always work up the load when changing any component. That said I have noticed no difference between the WLR and WLRM ( I don't crony).