Lar Grizzly

krept

Only have seen one in action - once

Thinner than a Desert Eagle, very intimidating at the range...

Marko Kloos

Loud. Expensive. Sort of fun to shoot. I don't see those anymore, now that I'd actually buy one just for the fun of it. I was keeping my eyes open for the .45 WinMag version, but none of those has turned up in the cases of my local gun dealers yet.

I probably owned 4 over the years. A 50AE, two 45 Win Mag. and a 45 ACP. The 45 ACP and one of the WM's had ten inch barrels. On the big WM I also had a muzzle break (factory original), a cocking handle and an aimpoint. Not much recoil in that thing.

The 50 AE would eject with such force that sometimes I had to PULL the spent brass out of the woodwork at the shooting range.

All were reliable. Because they aren't gas operated you can use cast bullets. I'd recommend them, particularly the 50 if you want a REAL handful.

Unlike other big automatics, like the Wildey (which doesn't work) or the Dessert Eagle (which doesn't work well), these guns did work.

Alaska Roy

LAR in .44 Rem Mag-

IME the LAR in .44 Mag isn't reliable enough for any serious duty, hunting/defense etc. because the rimmed .44 Remington cases bind and tie upin the magazine causing jams. The .45 WM will equal and surpass the .44 with handloads..Roy

GI Joe

Good timing for this post. I just fired a LAR Grizzly today in 45 win mag- and it was quite a handful. I only shot a box of 20 through it and the gun worked fine. I don't believe these LAR Grizzly makes handguns anymore, so you would do well to look on online auctions like Gunsamerica, Auction Arms.... Be sure to have good hearing protection- that thing BOOMS!