Lapua Speed Ace Discontinued?!?!

B. Lahey

I was looking at the Midway website last night hunting for my usual assortment of obscure ammunition and I saw that they had Lapua Speed Ace listed as discontinued!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=723936

Attention!
Discontinued product is not returnable to MidwayUSA. If defective, please contact the manufacturer.

I ordered a whole brick and I could hear a small scream from my wallet, but I had to do it, it's my favorite rimfire ammo for small game hunting and target shooting with semiauto .22 pistols.

Is Lapua not going to make this wonderful ammo anymore or is Midway just not going to carry it?

Either way, I may be out of luck, Midway is the only source I know of. If you like Speed Ace, buy now fellow rimfire nerds.

mikejonestkd

Here's another source:

http://www.eabco.com/Lapua03.html

And a possible explanation:

"Last Chance for Original Lapua 22 Ammo!
It's still a mystery why but, Lapua has replaced their extremely popular line of super accurate 22 ammunition with a new, different, and unproven line. Introduced at the Shot Show last winter, the new line replaces the old line... So we won't be able to get this original ammo!
We're selling out the remaining inventories at various levels of discount depending on how much is left to sell. Some are already sold out and these will probably sell fast too. If you've been a fan of Lapua 22 Ammo, this is probably the last chance to buy more... "

B. Lahey

Noooooooooooooo!

Not Midas-M and Pistol King too!

That's like Eley discontinuing Tenex!

The horror... the horror...

Martyn4802

I saw that Lapua has discontinued their old line of rimfire ammo and bought a brick of Midas L which shoots extremely well in my rifles. It's not Midway who is discontinuing the old line. I saw it in the Champion's Choice catalog, their new one.
Sounds like it's time to try their new stuff to see how it shoots. Lapua wouldn't be doing this if the new stuff wasn't a significant improvement over the old ammo.

B. Lahey, Thanks for the link. Do you know what the velocity of the old Midas L and M is?
My rifles shoot Match ammo that shoots at about 1058 FPS best.

Martyn

B. Lahey

Do you know what the velocity of the old Midas L and M is?

If I remember correctly the Midas loads are trans-sonic, as many high-end target loads are, so they probably fall right into the velocity range your rifle likes.

I still have not been able to find out if they are going to replace Speed Ace in their new line of ammo. It seems like they have a new version of every load except Speed Ace.

Does anyone else make a high-velocity high-quality load comparable to Speed Ace?

Martyn4802

B. L,

RWS makes two high quality 22 RF loads, R-50, the lower velocity, and R-100. R-100 was developed as a 100 yard load and is higher velocity than the R-50. I have two rifles that love R-100, but have not gotten good results with the R-50. The R-100 shoots 1/4" groups at 50 yards with my Ruger 10-22 that has a Hart barrel on it, along with other accuracy enhancing upgrades. My Martini MkII shoots the R-100 into 1/8" groups at 50 yards, all are 5 shot groups. I use the R-100 as my hunting ammo with the 10-22 because it is fast and accurate.
Don't confuse the R-100 with RWS' High Velocity ammo, because that stuff does not shoot well, and is a lot cheaper than R-100. Champion's Choice has the R-100 available as I just bout a brick from them two weeks ago.
I sort all of my target ammo, except for the high end Lapua, by weight and rim thickness, including R-100.