Lapua or Nosler ?

BillyBoy 57

I am needing new brass for 6.5 creedmoor . It seems all that is available are nosler and lapua brands. I am asking for advice on the best of the two as they are about the same in price , Thanks .

std7mag

Personally, if price is close i'd get the Lapua.

I got Nosler brass for my 7mm-08AI. Really not any better performance wise than the PPU brass i got.

Theoretically less needed in prep for first firing. But i do my checks anyways, regardless of who the manufacturer is.

thump_rrr

Word of warning Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor uses small primers and the flash hole is extra small.
I had to turn down my decapping pin to fit.

kilotanker22

Word of warning Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor uses small primers and the flash hole is extra small.
I had to turn down my decapping pin to fit.
Lapua also offers large primer pocket brass for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I do not know if they still have the small flash hole though

kilotanker22

That said, I have used lots of different brass for the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have had the best case life from Lapua brass, although I shoot the small primer pockets. If you buy from Eurooptic, you can get the Lapua brass at about $0.10 cheaper per piece of brass when compared to the price of Nosler from Midway.

Nathan

Nosler is just brass. Lapua is premium brass heat treated properly. It is truly a different world.

thump_rrr

Thanks to all who answered . I am wondering if any who use the Lapua have experienced what thump rrr posted . ?
Directly from the Lapua website.
We’ve also incorporated our smaller diameter flash hole (1.5mm, rather than the industry standard 2.0mm), which has proven to provide enhanced accuracy, and is used in a number of our other accuracy oriented cases.
https://www.lapua.com/cases/6-5-creedmoor/#:~:text=6.5%20Creedmoor%20brass%20with%20small%20rifle%20primer&text=We've%20also%20incorporated%20our,our%20other%20accuracy%20oriented%20cases.

Rimfire5

Never had a problem with Lapua small rifle primer pockets with the 6.5mm CM or with .223 Remington.

I've loaded over 20,000 rounds into Lapua small rifle primer cases and about 12,000 into large rifle primer cases for other calibers - mostly .308.

Like kilotanker, I have gotten much more reloads per case with Lapua than with any other brass.

kilotanker22

I just checked my Lapua 308 Win large primer brass, they have the 2mm hole. My lapua palma cases and my Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor small primer have the 1.5mm hole.

Forster, redding, and some RCBS dies already have the smaller size decapping pin.

BillyBoy 57

I did not know about the 1.5 decapping pin. My dies are rcbs , just bought them so i will check the pin size . it looks like Lapua is the way to go based on the replies here . Again , Thanks for the education .

603Country

Most of what I buy these days is Lapua, and if I can’t get that I’ll buy Norma. Long life with either.

Lapua brass always seems to have tight primer pockets and the neck walls seem thicker than most other brass. That was never a problem until I had my 223 rebarreled. The smith put a tight competition chamber in the barrel, and I could not chamber reloads with new Lapua brass. Rather than neck turn every case, I had the smith open up the chamber a bit.

BillyBoy 57

I checked my 6.5 Ceedmoor dies and it does have the 1.5 m pin , so the lapua srp brass will not be a problem . Rcbs now has 4 different decap pins where there used to be 2. They also list a "headed " pin which my recently purchased 300 savage dies use . Going to have to order some spare decap pins more than just the "large " and "small" . Thanks !

I've got both Lapua and ADG in 308. ADG uses heavier brass because it is designed to last as long as many reloadings as possible. That means it has a little less powder capacity, but it's internal capacity is extremely consistent. It is very good stuff. The one place Lapua did better than ADG is in neck wall runout. Lapua has about 0.001" in runout on my Redding gauge, while ADG has about twice that. Keep in mind the bullet position offset is about half the runout number, so both are very tight. By way of comparison, I had one case in a bulk Winchester purchase that had 0.008" of neck wall runout. That was one out of 500, but 0.004" was quite common in that lot.