Lancaster AK 47

haymaker

Like a gazillion other people in this country I think it's time to get an AK. I'm thinking of a Lancaster and to save money I'm thinking of one with a stamped receiver. I'm not familiar with AK's and I need some honest opinions from people who are familiar with them.

FireForged

Nothing wrong with a stamped receiver.. I wouldnt buy a milled rifle unless I could get it for the same price as as stamped one. I dont know anything about lancater's but the Vepr rifles are supposed to be really nice. I doubt the price is much different.

kymasabe

I haven't handled one yet but everyone I've chatted with who's owned one or fired one says they're pretty nice, decent build quality, better than the average WASR and overall a good buy. I don't t hink you'd have anything to worry about with a Lancaster built AK.

Mike215

Lancaster makes excellent AK's. Everyone I've talked to has nothing but great things to say about them. Especially the finish. :cool:

Skans

I just purchased a lancaster AK-47 underfolder. I'll give you the low down on it.

1. Built on a DCI stamped / heat treated 1.5mm receiver.

2. Mine has plastic furniture - which I prefer over wood.

3. Built using polish parts. All matching numbers.

4. The entire gun has dura-coat, or some kind of black tough finish on it. Doesn't scratch easily

5. It is supposed to have a chrome lined barrel. I have been unable to verify that the barrel is chrome lined. this could be due to the fact that part of the bore got black dura coat on it, and I can't see the chrome lining, or it may not be chrome lined. This is dissapointing to me, since I specifically wanted a chrome lined barrel. However, the barrel was part of the polish parts since it is numbered accordingly.

6. The folding mechanism locks up solid, but is a little stiff.

7. Internal parts look to be decent quality - bolt carrier is good quality. Bolt is the type with a floating firing pin, not sprung firing pin like the chinese rifles.

8. I also have a fixed stock Polytech stamped receiver gun that I have compared it to. The polytech receiver is blued and finished a little nicer. The polytech fire control parts, bolt and bolt carrier are slightly better quality. The polytech barrel appears to be slightly thicker, and IS CHROME LINED. The action on the polytech is a little smoother.

9. I have fired the Lancaster AK and it works just fine.

Overall, the Lancaster is a good build. I have seen a Global 1.6mm reciever gun that I like a little better, but passed on it because it had an american made aftermarket barrel on it. I am concerned that I didn't get the chrome lined barrel - I have some old corrosive chinese ammo that I wouldn't mind shooting in it - but won't until I can verify whether the barrel is chrome lined or not. I'm betting it's not. But, the barrel has very sharp grooves in it - looks new.

I paid $800 for it within the last 2 months. I feel like I paid a little too much for it, but oh, well I always wanted an underfolder that I could use as a shooter, now that the Polytech is more of a safe queen.

haymaker

Thanks for your input. I just ordered a Lancaster with the Russian red stained wood. They say it will take 30-45 days to get it. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

jpwilly

My Lancaster Arms AKM mfg in Goodyear AZ has been the best AK variant that I have shot. Reliable, Duracoat finish, G2 Trigger group, built from mil spec romanian "G" new parts! Here's me and mine!

rifle008.jpg

AKBlastbw.jpg

jpwilly

^^ I love it when I get that stupid poster! It's my AK and I'll put whatever crap I want on it!

Last edited: