Lahti 9mm

Skans

I know very little about the various Lahti 9mm's, other than they look well made and possibly fun to shoot, especially for a WWII era gun. Does anyone have any thoughts or other information on these historical firearms? Can they handle modern 9mm?

Jim Watson

A guy here shoots one in IDPAish matches occasionally.
It is an interesting novelty and shoots "modern 9mm" just fine.

Glenn E. Meyer

I recall from those old Guns and Ammo surplus arms special issues that:

1. They are very difficult to take apart.
2. The Swedish ones are not thought to be as good as the original Finnish ones.

That's all I got.

Limnophile

Looks like a good gun to have if you live in Frostbite Falls and spend a lot of time outdoors. I'd be concerned about needing an armorer to strip and clean it, but it sounds like it doesn't need that often. I would avoid feeding it +P ammo unless evidence to the contrary exists.

RickB

They will handle regular 9mm.
I have maybe 500 rounds through mine, over the last 20 years.
One concern is an internal part called the "accelerator", which is supposed to help the gun operate under extreme conditions, but which appears to beat-up the gun under more normal conditions.
I've removed the accelerator from my gun, and it still works fine.
Complete detail disassembly might be difficult, but field-stripping is easy.
The Swedes apparently stored a large number of Lahtis, for use in future emergencies, but when some were removed for testing, they suffered failures that were thought to be dangerous to the operator, and the entire lot was condemned.
There's some belief that all Swedish Lahtis are suspect, and I can't comment on that. The quality of the steel is not very good, apparently the best metal going into artillery, while pistols got the lowest grade.
That was due to wartime shortages, and I don't know if the post-war pistols, like mine, are made of better materials.

44 AMP

Staff
Does anyone have any thoughts or other information on these historical firearms? Can they handle modern 9mm?

The Finnish gun went into production in 1935. Unsure about the Swedish model, but its called the M40, so probably 1940. Both were still first line service pistols in the 1960s.

The Lahti is bulky and beefy for a 9mm Luger pistol. In general shape, it resembles the Luger, particularly the grip frame.

The bolt is enclosed in the slide, somewhat like the Ruger Mk I pistol in appearance (although more square than round, and mechanically much different due to the locking mechanism. I picked the Ruger as an example over other "bolt inside slide/barrel extension" guns because it is better known.)

The mechanism has an accelerator, described as being similar to the M2 Browning .50BMG, to assist cycling function, particularly in very cold weather.

I looked at the take down instruction in Small Arms of the World, and they don't seem all that complicated to field strip. Actually simpler (fewer steps)than a 1911. Kind of like a Luger, but not identical, obviously.

Lock the bolt back, operate the takedown lever, pull the bolt back just a bit to relieve spring tension, then slide the entire top (barrel & slide assy) forward off the frame.

I do not own one, nor have I shot one, but I have handled some at the shows. They seem...solid, and are probably better guns for service use than a Luger.

Standard "modern" ball ammo should be fine, and would be the preferred ammo. Unknown to me if they will feed anything else. Likewise, unknown to me how long they would survive if fed +p or +p+. I would not use +p ammo in them. Despite how strong they look, no gun is better than its weakest part, and the Lahti is a 1930s design, produced for a given load as all military pistols are. Shooting anything else is uncharted territory.

My personal opinion is that if you need +p or +p+ 9mm Luger, what you really need is a different cartridge. However, this opinion is not the majority these days...

Lahtis are neat WWII era pistols, much better than contemporary Italian or Japanese designs, Arguably better than the Luger, possibly the P.38, depending on your parameters.

Hope this helps...

jonnyc

I have the Swedish M40 Version. Great shooting pistols; very reliable and accurate. Mine works just fine with any ammo I've tried, but I tend to stick to the same brands and loads that I use in my Luger, Radoms, and P38. The Swedes used some very hot AP ammo in some of their "Lahtis" and cracked some slides, thus throwing their entire stock into suspicion. If you can get one, just inspect the slide well for any cracks or repairs. If there aren't any you should be good-to-go! If you can get one, do it.
If you can Google, you can find lots of history and technical info on the Lahti/M40 pistols on-line.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Swedish and Finnish guns are a little different, especially in the recoil spring, but are basically the same. IMHO, they (like the M9) are way too big for the 9mm cartridge, but they are reliable. Field stripping is easy, but avoid detail stripping unless repair is needed.

Jim

kilimanjaro

Mine is a good shooter, and certainly as well made as any WWII pistol, if not better.

They are heavy, but point well. Modern 9mm ammo is not an issue with mine, I would not put hot loads in it, since it's a 75-year old relic and I don't like to beat my guns to death.

If you want one for your collection, go for it. They are not rare, but definitely not common and seldom come up for sale, having disappeared into the hands of collectors decades ago. The prices are stable, and you won't lose any money. Probably won't make any, either, but that's not a reason to pass up a good one.

Skans

What's a fair price for a nice looking example of the Swedish Lahti? I've been looking at what they are listed for on Gunbroker - wondering what folks think independently of Gunbroker listings.

jonnyc

With some digging, I think you can find a good one in the $500-700 range. What are some average GB prices?

Skans

Swedish Lahtis seem to be higher than that - asking (starting bids) prices at $700+. But, not much action on these.

That's the thing, I think I might do better at a gun show by offering a fair price than trying to get one off of gunbroker.

gyvel

Word of caution: When purchasing a Lahti, closely inspect the locking block housing in the upper receiver ("barrel extension") for hairline cracks. It is a problem that occurs occasionally in Swedish Lahtis (I won't say it's "common", but it does happen). I've owned two with that problem, and I have seen several others. I have also gotten reports from others who have seen them.

The problem is that the cracks are so fine that they can escape detection if the light isn't so good, or you are in a heightened state of excitement, such as at a gun show. LOL