LacK oF Interest

Boberama

I recently had a loss of interest in firearms and shooting, spanning several months.

That period is over now, but it was the first time where I wasn't avidly interested.

Has anybody else experienced this before, and what caused it, and how did you get your interest in guns back?

It was Very Unexpected for me. I didn't even realize it was happening until later.

Ronbert

I've done this with most of my hobbies.

Eventually I return to them.

Don't sell all your stuff. You'll come back to it. (or not)

Mr. Wild

I have several hobbies and occasionally I lose interest in some of them, for a while.
I use to cast, reload, and shoot some years ago.
Got out of it because of raising kids and work schedule.
Took me 15 years before I got back into it.

I was off work one Saturday and decided I hadn't been to a gun show in years, I was bored and needed something to do.
That was a mistake.:eek:

I walked in and saw a Ruger .45lc New Vaquero and had to have it.
That was 2 1/2 years ago and 2 handguns, 1 shotgun, and 1 AR ago.:D
Not counting all the money spent on reloading equipment and accessories.:D

hardworker

There is no magic cure to getting back into firearms. If you don't care about them you don't care about them. No need to force yourself to. It's just like any other hobby. You do it as long as you get enjoyment out of it then move on if you feel the need.

nathaniel

I had it once so far in my life, it happened when I discovered girls. What got me back into it is the girl left and I needed something to do with all my spare time and money so I went and bought a gun, I havent stopped since. If you truly love the hobby you will come back to it, no matter what it is.

geetarman

Just don't sell your "stuff." You will end up buying it back and it will cost more.

I don't sell guitars or guns. Sometimes I just want to play and sometimes I want to shoot.

It is ok to get away from either for a while. The urge will come back. Just don't sell your things.

Geetarman:D

Ronbert

Yep.

I set my guitar aside for 20 years.

Came back to it 10 years ago. It now has 5 friends and they all get played.

Neither guns nor guitars eat while they are in storage waiting for you to get back to them. Just be sure and store them so they'll be in good shape when you want them.

lamarw

I rotate between my antique clock colletion and my gun interest. It is like having two sand boxes to play in with my toys. The sand boxes meaning different work benches for each. One for reloading and one for clock repair/restoration.

I am not multi-tasking; therefore each hobby gets its dedicated period of time unless I am fishing. :)

scottl

When my grandpa died I lost all interest in things we done together.They just weren't any fun any more.

KLRANGL

I usually switch between spending my time/money on cars and guns, with a few other side projects in there like drums. The last couple months was my car, but now I'm finally getting around to finishing my AR and AK projects. Hopefully the money for the finishing touches on the shotgun come around, but I don't think that will happen for another year. Before the car, it was getting my reloading station squared away...
Focusing on one thing 100% of the time is boring.

One thing I never stop doing is getting to the range often and shooting my carry gun. Doing it every week can sometimes feel like a chore, but it is always satisfying in the end, and very important to keep up with.

45Gunner

There could be several reasons one could walk away from something they really enjoy. Among those could be: depression, financial concerns, loss of a job or loss of a loved one, other more important matters, etc. During those times, it is OK to take a break. Put your "stuff" safely aside where they will remain protected and in good condition while you deal with other matters. One day something will happen unexpectedly like talking to a friend about a common interest and bingo, your interest becomes rekindled.

As it had been advised, don't sell your gun stuff. Keep it and take a break. If after a reasonable time goes by and your interest is even less than when you took a break, then it may be time to re-evaluate your priorities.

deathrider

well I got out of them 15 years ago, thanks to a burgulary, when I lived at home with parents, lost a big part of my collection, & basically no insurance, homeowners had a $500 cap on firearms. I also was too busy chasing women, & drinking, & playing with old Harleys. so..

no one knew I had that collection, but 1 month there was a huge rash of break ins & they got very lucky. & after loosing many thousands of dollars of guns, I just gave up, what wasnt stolen, I pretty much sold at dirt cheap prices, or traded for odds & ends, & kept only a small handful.

only bought a couple since then, yes 2 in like 15 years, & last year it took a shooting at a parking lot & me wishing I had a gun whether or not I needed it, & now I am getting back into, but financially I cant afford, every time I think I can, something happens, I only picked up a shotgun this year. i am missing some of my former "pets" I had some interesting pieces, I had a gunsmith friend that had built a few, but he moved away before my collection was lost forever.

Randy

egor20

I recently had a loss of interest in firearms and shooting, spanning several months.

TBH, I'm in the beginning of having a new barn built and have 2 boarded mares preggo. I put my pistol in my holster out of habit now a days. I'd love to go to the range, but I just really don't have the time or effort.

jhansman

A couple of years ago I totally lost interest in shooting and reloading. Sold off two guns to help pay for a photography road trip. Had a great time and got good photos, but when my interest in guns re-emerged, I missed those sold guns a lot, and still do. Lesson learned. :eek:

larryf1952

Back in the '90's, I shot and reloaded A LOT. Then, we moved to our present location, and I gave up my membership to the old gun club, as it became too far to commute for range practice. Job and other priorities moved in, and I fell out of shooting, reloading, and all other gun related activities for about 8 years.

Only within the past couple of years have I started to pick back up, and I've bought a few new guns in that time. Still, it's nothing like it used to be. I used to shoot at least twice a month. Now, I'm shooting maybe 6 times a year. Things change...