Labradar Tracking .223/5/56 Bullets

ed308

Was using my Labradar on my 5.56 reloads and could get it to track only one shot out of 30. Was shooting 68 gr Nosler CC bullets over 24 grs of Varget. I've had no problems tracking 6.8, 6.5 CM or .308. Any suggestions?

ATCDoktor

Hmmmm, with my Labradar properly aimed with the Bullets flight entirely encompassed in the Doppler field I haven't had any problems tracking .223 bullets out to 125 yards.

I mean it may drop one or two in a 10 shot stringbut by and large it catches them all.

I'd make sure your unit is properly oriented to your target.

ed308

It must be a tracking issue. Re-read the manual last night. I'll have to try the straw trick. The aiming notch to the top is not very good.

Last edited:

ATCDoktor

Reference “aiming” the Labradar, what I did was cut the rim off a 22 Magnum case and duct tape it in aiming groove on top of the unit.

The straw trick will work as well but the brass tube made out of 22 WMRcase is way more durable.

ms6852

Dumb question but have to ask. Were there any shooters to your left or right at the time you were using your chrono? If so, this could be the problem. I've never had problems with it using .223 bullets. I do use only 75 gr hornadys though nothing smaller.

LeverGunFan

To add to the other suggestions, here's a list of the ways I've had failures to track a shot:

1) Low muzzle blast rounds that fail to trigger the unit. Examples are 22 rimfire and 32-20 out of a rifle. You can add an external trigger microphone, or position the muzzle closer and alongside or slightly behind the Labradar. Usually does not generate an error message.

2) Shooting with another person nearby who has a "big boomer" that triggers the Labradar. Then the Labradar starts looking for a projectile, but doesn't detect one. Usually generates an error message on the screen. The external microphone is very susceptible to this. Can adjust the sensitivity to reject nearby shooters.

3) The unit not aimed properly at the target. I've been lax at times in aiming the unit at the target and still had it successfully track projectiles, but I've heard of others who have had problems. If the Labradar triggers from the muzzle blast, I'd expect an error message.

I'm not sure if the offset value setting can cause errors, if for example 6 inches is set but the spacing is 12 inches or greater, or vice versa.

Early testing by Bryan Litz - writer of several books on ballistics - had failures to track .223 bullets with a concave base. I think this has been fixed, but I'm not sure.

Is the Labradar not triggering with no error message, or is it generating a failure to track error message?

ed308

I was getting the "Acquisition error: could not track the projectile" error message. I'm thinking it was aiming. Maybe I had it aimed to high to track 68 gr bullets I was firing. I moved the unit around, changed the aim point and dropped the sensitivity down to 1 but still only picked up one out of thirty shots. It's odd that it picked up one shot and not others. I going to install a better aiming device on it. That aiming sight is the weak point of the device. But other than that, I really like it.

Have you got the latest firmware? You can also check with the maker on this, but from your description, it does not sound like a triggering error.

FrankenMauser

The boat tail on the Nosler bullet is likely a contributing factor. It leaves the Labradar unit tracking the equivalent of a .17 caliber bullet.

ed308

I do have the latest firmware. That is interesting about the Nosler Custom Comp bullets. I think all of the ammo (except for the Hornady) I tested was tipped with the Custom Comps.