L frame vs N frame grip peg

Dan-O

I don’t own a L frame. If someone has both a L and N frame in the round butt variety, can you be so kind as to take a picture of each without their grips on, and next to each other. I’m curious as to the “why’s” that a grip that will fit the x frame will also work on a k,l, and n frame. But why the rubber Altamonts that come on some 686’s won’t fit the N.

End of the day I’m tired of my hand getting the piss beat out if it with an exposed backstrap on a 627. Not interested in a square butt conversion, and do not like rubber hogues.

Drm50

L frame is same grip frame as K. they don’t fit N. I’m not familiar with X frame it must have multiple stud holes if it fits everything. I just bought 26 pairs of assorted S&W grips and am happy to report they are all wood. As many rubber grips available for K & L frame there should be something that meets your specs.

sparkyv

There are a few select grip models out there that will fit the K, L, N and X frames. The Hogue rubber conversion model is one of them. The Altamont is not. Oh, BTW, the Hogue is a one-piece grip, so you can't really look inside to see how they make them fit four different frame sizes,

I don’t own a L frame. If someone has both a L and N frame in the round butt variety, can you be so kind as to take a picture of each without their grips on, and next to each other. I’m curious as to the “why’s” that a grip that will fit the x frame will also work on a k,l, and n frame. But why the rubber Altamonts that come on some 686’s won’t fit the N.

End of the day I’m tired of my hand getting the piss beat out if it with an exposed backstrap on a 627. Not interested in a square butt conversion, and do not like rubber hogues.

tipoc

S&W frame sizes, particularly the part that is the grip have changed over the decades.

The S&W X frame was built with the part of the frame that is the grip to be the same size as a round butt K frame.

When S&W introduced the L frame they made the part of the frame that is the grip the same size as the K frame grip.

The N frame has always been larger than the K frame this includes the part of the frame that is the grip. Whether round butt or square the N frame grips are larger than the K, L, or X.

tipoc

buck460XVR

Why is it weird? In some cases you can force a set of grips to fit or seem to fit something. They seem to fit but not correctly.

Is this a guess or have you actually tried the S&W X-Frame grips on a N-Frame? I have the S&W X-Frame rubber grips on my X-Frame, N-Frames and L-Frames. Since the grips cover the backstrap, there is no way to see how far off they are on the N-Frames, but they are just as secure to me as the stock N-Frame rubber grips. I did not have to force them in any way, they slipped right on. They also feel the exact same way in my hand as they do on the X-Frame and L-Frames. Now I agree, wood stocks, especially those that fit the profile of the backstrap may not fit or may not fit well, but the rubber grips? Probably just as good or better than other after market stocks made for the N-Frames.

tipoc

Look to the link I provided (post #8) for pics of rubber grips on various guns. You can clearly see that various rubber grips do not fit. Particularly those that do not cover the backstrap.

Can you get some to "fit" that do cover the backstrap? Well sure. They "fit" the same way an oversize pair of rubber galoshes fit your feet. If that works for some people, well fine. But it's useful for all to know that there are grips specifically built for the gun you own.