L-Frame vs J-Frame for OWB Concealed Carry

For OWB concealed carry, which would you rather have?

• S&W Model 686 Plus 3"

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • S&W Model 60 3"

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

David the Gnome

I have been pondering this decision for some weeks now and can't seem to make up my mind. Which would you rather have for OWB concealed carry?

S&W Model 686 Plus 3":

164300_large.jpg

Pros:
-Lighter recoiling with .357 Magnum loads
-Holds 7 rounds
-Huge grip selection
-Better factory sights

Cons:
-Over 10oz heavier than the Model 60
-$100 more expensive

S&W Model 60 3":

162430_large.jpg

Pros:
-Over 10oz lighter
-Considerably more compact
-$100 cheaper than the Model 686 Plus

Cons:
-Only 5 round capacity
-Considerable rougher to shoot with .357 Magnum loads
-More limited grip options than with K/L-Frame
-Plain black adjustable sights

dgludwig

How about a Goldielocks "just right" K-frame compromise? To get one chambered in s/s, .357 Magnum though, I think you'd have to look for a used Model 66 (adjustable sights) or a Model 65 (fixed sights).

WC145

I always carry OWB, sometimes a 2" j-frame, sometimes a 4" L-frame. Obviously the J-frame is easier to hide and the lighter weight makes it less noticeable on your belt but with the proper belt and holster the L-frame is doable. If you're willing to put the money into quality carry gear, I'd go with the L-frame, otherwise I think you'll find the smaller, lighter gun to be more forgiving when it comes to carrying and concealing.

Webleymkv

When talking about OWB, the only real advantage I see to the J-Frame is that you can install smaller and more concealable grips. If you plan to shoot Magnums, however, a very small grip will probably get very old very quickly. For this reason, I go with either the L-Frame or a used K-Frame.

Buzzcook

From a shooting stand point the 686 is the clear winner. More so if you plan on shooting a lot of .357.
That being said I like the heck out of the model 60. Personally I'd only use .38s in it. For that matter I'd only shoot 38s out of the 686 to. The model 60 is the lightest that I feel ok about shooting .357 with.

The Model 60 is the clear winner as far as concealing is concerned.

You could split the difference as other folks suggest.