L.E.S. Rogak & Steyr GB

Skans

Ok, I'm familiar with the history of these two guns. I own a Steyr GB and love it. I know that the Rogaks had problems due to some poor workmanship and don't work reliably.

But, here's my question to any knowledgable people. I really would like to have a L.E.S. Rogak pistol, but I would want it to function properly. Are there any gunsmiths out there that can make this gun function just like the Steyr GB? Or is the Rogak simply a total piece of crud that can't be made to work no matter what?

Wildalaska

Rogak...poor machining, poor fit and finsih, poorly made so I think you would be wasting your time

WildcantmakeasilkpurseoutofasowsearAlaska ™

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Here's the fix: Remove the sights from a Rogak. Slide a GB under them. Now it will work. ;)

Skans

Ehhhh, that bad, huh? Well, I saw one on gunbroker going for $400. Nice looking gun. But, I've heard the horror stories about them not working. It's hard to imagine because my GB works flawlessly.

I was thinking that if I had a GB and a Rogak, that I could try to figure out where Rogak went wrong and possibly correct the problem. Another thought was that it could be used for spare parts for the GB. But, if it's just a POS that will never work - I'd only be interested if they were selling the thing basically for scrap.

Que

Over the years I have seen them from time to time in gun shops. They are usually priced at around $250 and each and every time there has been "as-is" written on the price tag in big bold letters.

Forget about it unless you want a paperweight :D

Tom2

As far as I know, it is a total piece of crap and the only reason it sells for more than scrap metal value, is because of limited production quantities. There are a few guns like that, they were crap when they were made, the company folded, now it is, like, "rare Shutzspitten Z32 pistol, only 400 made" and the seller will play up the rarity and inflate the price. I don't have the storage space for paperweight guns. Except for the fact it is US made, to me it would be like trying to aquire poorly made foriegn copies of S&W revolvers that don't work right, to compare to the real thing.

Tom2

Yea but would you have payed Rogak money for that handmade Filipino revolver? Actually the Filipino gun is more interesting than the crappy cast metal Rogak made by people that have access to modern manufacturing techniques. I was thinking of the junky rusty spanish copies of Smiths.

Skans

I was thinking of the junky rusty spanish copies of Smiths.

Oh, now I'm really insulted - my first gun was a "Mac De Armes" copy of a S&W nickle plated .38 snub nose. It was actually a well made gun, for what it was. I fired quite a few rounds through it.

That handmade philipino revolver is interesting. I could see paying $100 for that stuff.

I can't see paying $400 for a gun that doesn't work, and can't be made to work, though. I just figured if the Rogak could be made to work......?

Ok, I'm going to keep my eyes out for another "cheap" beat up Steyr GB (I know, not in my lifetime...:()

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Tom2,

Yeah, I paid $200 for the junky little wheelgun. As my gunsmith said at the time "$25 for the holster, $75 for the gun, and $100 for the story."

I wouldn't fire it on a dare, but it was a neat piece of history, made a fascinating bookend to my Regulation Police, and the guy acted like he really needed the money and sometimes I'm a soft touch... :eek: