L.A.Sheriff Dep shot during traffic stop

Steve in PA

LA Sheriff's deputy shot in head during traffic stop
09-06-2000
WHITTIER, Calif. -- A nine-year veteran Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy is in stable condition today after he was shot in the head early Wednesday morning by an unknown assailant during a traffic stop.

Deputy Michael Schaap had been patrolling an unincorporated area of Whittier with his partner when the 3:30 a.m. shooting occurred, according to sheriff’s spokesman Chuck Stringham.

After a car was pulled over for a traffic violation someone in the vehicle fired on both deputies and Schaap was shot in the head. Schaap’s partner was not injured, according to Stringham.

The condition of Schaap, who underwent emergency surgery at a local hospital, was upgraded from critical to stable, Stringham said.

Several blocks in the area were searched. No suspects were found and none have been identified by authorities, Stringham told PoliceOne.com. -- PoliceOne Staff Report

------------------
Steve
LPD

Steve in PA

Hmmm, first I've heard about it, but I just got an e-mail from a friend throwing a birthday party for her friend...so looks like I'll be missing the shoot...oh well maybe next year. I hope to get up to some other shoots in the area though, Bear Creek and Factoryville have some coming up, IDPA and PPC.

------------------
Steve
LPD