KY Imports - Opinions?

Grapeshot

Was thinking of ordering some pistols from them (have my FFL). I called them twice this week to ask about availability, and quite frankly, was really taken aback with how un- Southern the response was - the guy on the phone was just plain snotty. It was as if he was doing me a favor or something and just had better things to do than help me buy some of his stuff. In all fairness to them, I did subsequently read on their site that they don't like you calling on their 1-800 number unless you're going to order - but heck, I'm not gonna order something that isn't there and I'm sure not going to call long-distance to Kentucky for a simple question of availability. Anyway, I was about to order the gun I wanted, when I remembered to ask if I could return it for a re-stocking fee (have never done this but everyone seems to allow it for 20%). The guy told me he just plain doesn't take any returns, period. Funny, their web site says they do for a 15% restocking fee. Of course you have to have their "authorization", ha ha. I see this as basically dishonest, and I even though nobody else had the gun but them, I decided to just put off buying it until somebody like SOG gets them in (they were super nice to me).
So, anybody have any dealings with them? I would love to hear that my experience was not typical, since they have some pretty good deals on ex-cop guns.

buzz_knox

I've heard, I say again, heard, that when dealing with KY Imports , you should knock the condition of the weapon down one grade: i.e. excellent is very good, very good is good. They are a bit . . . optimistic in their descriptions.

macondas

I live less than 5 miles from them, I really can't remember the exact distance, but I'd rather say further than closer. I won't do business with them at all. Too many horror stories, too many other places to shop.

Jim in Louisville

------------------
**P.P.L.L.**

Jeff OTMG

I have ordered 5 used guns from them and no problems. Items were as described, delivered, and cheap. I call direct, no 800 number, as it only takes a couple of minutes to call and at .40 for 10 minutes I think I can afford it. I have heard about bad experiences when going there in person, but I have never had a problem with phone orders.

Greg G

I have ordered several pre-ban mags from them and a pistol barrel and everything has been as advertised. I haven't ordered a firearm from them.

jtduncan

I bought some P7 mags from them and got a great deal and was quite happy with their prices and their service.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

M16

I've never ordered a gun from them but have always been satisfied with the service on other items. They have great prices on primers. I also bought some p7m8 used magazines from them and was pleased.

Nukem

I've only done business with them once, bought a few new Smith Mod. 41 mags.
Everything went OK, FWIW.

JG

Hahaha, whenever I hear KY Imports- I'm always like what a horrible name (being associated with petrolium jelly).

But the way you said it was humorous :)

jwong

From what I read and hear, they are kind of a hit or miss company. I have bought several Beretta and AR15 magazines from them, and I haven't had a problem to date (knock on wood). Although I would agree that their phone manners are quite lacking...

B Shipley

If you get a woman, then the service is okay. Last time I ordered, some guy screwed up my shipment and sent it COD, not VISA, which I promptly refused and made them resend.

My merchandise has all been satisfactory, but I did get some used hicaps that were good not very good. Hit or miss seems about right. I'd give'em a .700 average.

mark lee

I live about 5 minutes away from them and have purchased new guns from them over the last couple years. They really don't care about retail business, don't have a showroom, and you can only purchase retail from 1pm til 5pm. I showed up last week at 12:35 to buy a Glock 36 and was told to come back in 25 minutes. If they wouldn't have been $70 cheaper than another shop in Louisivlle on the 36 I wouldn't have bought it from them. That will probably be the last time I buy from them. They do have good prices, I've never had any problem with what they sell, but their attitude does lack some southern hospitality as Grapeshot mentioned. I like Bob at Oakwood Guns in Middletown much better and am willing to pay a few more dollars for the good old gun shop environment.

Mark

------------------
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Ed2000

I e-mailed a question to them regarding the grading of their guns. (ie: something to the effect of - do they use the NRA grading scale or their own). Well, they wrote back saying that if I had to ask the question, I shouldn't be buying a used gun. I say screw them!

Gremlin

A**holes.

I travel through Louisville at least twice a month and have twice called them to try and see if I could drop by to look at a gun that they had advertised. Both times I got treated like scum on the phone. The first time I just figured I had got the wrong guy on the wrong day. The second time the person that answered the phone was worse.

Screw 'em, I can buy a gun from people who want my business. I'll pay the extra $20 just to be treated with respect.

------------------
Take the long way home...

Grapeshot

Thanks fellas,
Sounds like passing them up was the right choice. I'll order the guns from someone who doesn't have Antisocial Personality Disorder.

mept

New from them is cheap and new, but used can be crap. Although they unfriendily gave me the address and phone number of the importer of my last purchase to return a POS I bought, which was promptly returned with all my complaints fixed, 2 days it took.

jtduncan

Fine.

Ordered some mags from them. They're cool.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG