Kudos to Hornaday

Dave P

So I thought I was an experienced reloaded - knew all the tricks and pitfalls.

I was resizing some 223 cases, but I used a sloppy shellholder, instead of searching for the right one. So naturally , as I try to withdraw a case from the die, the head slips out of the shellholder.

Now I have a stuck case. I didn't want to mess with a screw-in case remover, so I put it in the freezer. Next morning warmed the die a bit with a torch, and tapped out the case with the decapping spindle. Nothing to it.

Of course, this bent the pin/spindle a little bit. And of course it snapped when I tried to straiten it. Hard steel does that, ya know?

So I call Hornaday for new parts. I expected to hear :" $5 parts plus $10 for shipping". But no - the nice lady just took my address and said the parts are on their way! Cool!

TXDego

Did same thing, broke the pin and bent the rod on my .223 die. Called Hornady, they sent me 2 pins and 2 rods, zero cost, and zero grief. Very please with Hornady at this point.

LarryFlew

must be the week. Did the same with my Lee 223 this week and also sending a freeby replacement. Did have to send them a picture of the broken one.

dickttx

I did the same to a Lee 38 Super die a few weeks ago. Never did discover how I did it. E-mail to Lee. They said to e-mail a photo. Three or four days later it arrived.
Really, I think nearly all the reloading manufacturers take real good care of you, even when you do something not too bright.

hounddawg

Hornady was good to me when I was learning the ropes on my LnL. Got ham handed once and broke a part out of sheer stupidity once. I had a new part free of charge by Monday. The lady spent about half a hour answering my questions and walked me through a lot of what to do's and what not to do's also

Xfire68

Hornady, Lee and RCBS have all sent me parts for free without me asking them. I have always said how much the items was and they all say don't worry it's on us.

Hornady has sent me free press parts as cheap as a $.50 spring to a $100 subplate.

hounddawg

I think most companies realize that re loaders share info both good and bad and if they want repeat and new business they have to act accordingly

FrankenMauser

.223 cases are nasty little buggers.

If you're going to stick a case... it'll be a .223 case.

I've gotten some screaming deals on "broken" .223 dies, being sold that way because some one stuck a case and couldn't figure out how to remove it.

The best was last year. I managed to snag an RCBS full-length sizing 2-die set, with an RCBS small-base 2-die set for a whopping $10 (maybe $15 ?). ....even after telling the guy how to remove the cases.
One case popped right out with a punch and the decapping stem removed, and RCBS took care of the other stuck case for $7 (including all new parts in/on the original die body).

I've never stuck a case in one of my own dies, though (only other people's :rolleyes:).
It comes back to one of my reloading room rules:
NEVER size brass without a stuck case remover present. If you have one, you'll never need to use it.