Krag Sporter. Any Good?

MP-44

Are the sporterized Krags in general any good? I guess what I am asking is how safe are they and what kind of accuracy should I expect with a good barrel?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The single locking-lug on the bolt limits them to 40,000 psi loadings. They are a bit more powerful than the venerable .30-30.

So long as you limit yourself to the inherent clean-kill range of inside 250 yards, +/-, they're great shooters.

IIRC, they have a relatively fast twist, and are more accurate with the heavier bullets. Say, 180- to 200-grain...

I have one I've played with some. Very enjoyable to shoot.

Art

thisaway

Krags are very pleasant shooters. They have the smoothest bolt-operation of any turnbolt rifle in existence...I believe this is due to the single main locking lug and the extremely hard & well-poished surface of the bolt. If the rifle is in good mechanical condition with a good bore, it would be worth having. A nice sporter should be worth $300-$400. Unaltered military condition weapons command a premium.

The cartridge is a good choice for deer-size game. Mostcommercial loads come with 180-gr bullets, but if you find some with 220-gr. snatch them up...the round was designed for this weight.

Allene223

Are you still looking for a Krag? If you are I have a Krag 1896 with Dies
for $350.00 plus shipping

Attachments

• mvc-001s.jpg
    mvc-001s.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 72
Be VERY careful to inspect the locking lug thoroughly before you buy a Krag.

They have been known to crack off right by the bolt.

Not as dangerous as it sounds, as the cocking handle is essentially another locking lug, but it's annoying as hell.

I've seen two do this over the years.

Shot my first, second and third Pennsylvania whitetails with a Krag sporter -- iron sights -- at ranges from 40 - 90 yards. Deer never complained, just fell over, quite dead. The Krag was a sweet handling gun for this type of hunting --- and it's just different enough to keep me interested. Enjoy!:D