Krag Disassembly

M700

Just recieved a Springfield Model 1899 carbine. Anyone have a link to an owners manual or disassembly instructions? Its in dire need of a complete cleaning. The stock has a crack through the handguard also, anyone know where to find a replacement?

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, NYRSCCA,

To remove the bolt, retract it all the way, lift up on the front of the extractor while rotating the bolt counter-clockwise. (In other words, keep lifting up on the bolt handle.)

Once the locking lug lines up with the receiver cut, the bolt should come right out. Disassemble the bolt by holding the bolt body in the left hand and pulling back the cocking piece with the right. Rotate the cocking sleeve counterclockwise until the cocking piece clears the bolt handle root. The bolt will come apart.

Other disassembly is like any other bolt action rifle. Remove the trigger guard screws and trigger guard. Press in the band spring and slip the band off to the front. The barrelled action should lift out of the stock. Be careful and don't use force; that old wood can be dry and brittle.

Reassemble in reverse. When installing the bolt, make sure the bolt sleeve is in the rear (cocked) position. Slip the bolt in with the lug upward, turn it clockwise, and guide the extractor into place.

For a handguard, try www.ssfirearms.com.

Jim

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I stole a 98 Krag real cheap at a gunshow. Part of the reason, other than my gift of gab, was that the magazine spring was out of place. The critter had had a peep sight installed, so you either remove the sight or run it all the way up to get the bolt out.

Once I had stuff all apart, it was pretty easy to get the mag spring into its proper place.

Haven't meddled with disassembly of the bolt, yet; thanx for the how-to.

:), Art