Know anything about a Remington Sportsmaster 512-P?

Coltdriver

Its a bolt action .22 with a peep sight. My Dad gave it to me today. My brother and I used to smote prarie dogs with it when we were kids but I never knew what it was.

Any idea as to year of manufacture or range of years?

Thanks

Coltdriver

Well I did a little digging and discovered that Remington has an excellent web site with tons of older model info.

So far I have found that the Sportmaster was manufactured between 1940 and 1962.

I have sent a request to Remington asking the difference between the standard version and the P version. The can also tell the year of manufacture by the barrel stamping. There are no serial numbers many pre 1965 Remington rifles.

Coltdriver

Reply from Remington

I inquired and got the following back:

Thank you for visiting Remington Country. According to the information that you provided, you have a Remington Model 512 that was produced in or around 1947. This model was introduced in 1940 and discontinued in 1962. There were more than 393,000 of these guns produced during this time and this model originally sold for around $14.95. The 510-P came with a Partridge-type front sight mounted on a ramp and a Remington adjustable rear sight with interchangeable discs.

USMCsilver

Pretty need getting the whole run down on the rifle. If it would have been Colt customer sevice, they would have told you to go to the library.

johnbt

Anybody know what the X suffix meant on these guns?

IIRC, the models with the A suffix had open sights.

The P's had peeps.

I wish I could remember something about the guns with the X suffix. Maybe no sights? I never owned one or knew anyone who did. All we ever saw were the A's and the P's.

John